joelpete

Backpack/Rucksack patterns

Does anyone know a good resource for modern backpack or rucksack patterns and instructions?  Links, books, etc?  Specifically, I'm looking for patterns to make quality bags, "similar" to this attached image.   I'm not looking for instructions in decorative tooling.

Thank you!

4AAAEFB2-55B1-46E9-92BF-1EFF74015B7B.jpeg

Joe, the best place I have fount is the  ; The Green Pepper.inc  these are patterns to be made with cloth but u can easily convert. attached a photo of a backpack I made from of their patterns

daypack.jpg

4 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I've seen quite a few backpack patterns available on this site: http://www.leathercraftpattern.com/index.php?route=common/home

Thank you both.

LatigoAmigo, that is exactly what I was looking for!

This guy has some at a very reasonable price: https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SteampunkMasks?section_id=20258358

He also backs it up with a Youtube Channel of instructional videos for the construction of the patterns: https://www.youtube.com/user/tovlade/videos

Also he runs a Facebook Group for support/questions if need be: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1434028716724087/

FWIW,

i just design my own patterns.

you know what you want, so just reverse engineer it.  

when i re-upholstered my car bucket seats in Pendleton wool, i just took the passenger seat out, removed the seat cover and tore the stitching apart and then used it as the pattern.   

Once you learn how to make your own patterns, then the next time you come across the same issue, it will be a piece of cake.

If you choose to make your own patter, either look for some heavy board (not like cardboard, but solid heavy paper) and keep some about for patterns.   if you have a daily job, you can look for it in your shipping/receiving deptartment on any shipments.  Sometimes they put some heavy paper under the cover flaps.   Or if you have any craft stores look for some "poster board" or any board thats inexpensive.

If you have any CAD programs on your PC/Mac you can also do your designs on CAD.  To print them you can piecemeal the pattern on letter size paper and then glue it onto the heavy paper stock.  If you have the $$, you can buy a plotter to do the large patterns, but that maybe too much for you.  

one last comment.

before you just blindly use a pattern, you may want to exmaine it and see if there is any way to improve upon it.  Sometimes you maybe able to cut out some sewing or seams if you plan it right.   

Edited by $$hobby

I'm with you on reverse engineering, I've done that with a three piece bicycle seat that I made out of leather for a tricycle refurb.  I just don't want to buy a $45 "pattern." Whatever I end up with, I'll certainly take my artistic liberties with it.

BTW, for many patterns I've found manila file folders to be perfect stencil material.

Boxboard is good, too. I save my empty Cheerio and cracker boxes! 

If you need larger sheets, Dick Blick sell poster board.  I had a box of 50 sheets delivered for about $50.  That's with shipping and tax.

Blick Economy Posterboard - 22" x 28" x 5 Ply, White  Item#: 13109-1102

I'm not ashamed to admit I've bought patterns as a shortcut. I've wasted so much material on failed patterns because posterboard and cardboard is great it just works...differently,  especially with heavier leather.

But as others have said the 2nd thing I do after looking at it and going P2F that's so easy why didnt i see that is how can I improve the pattern and make it my own.