porcupine

111W155 handwheel bore size?

I want to replace the handwheel with a larger sheave/pulley. Anyone know the bore size, so I can get my ducks in a row before disassembling? Machine is isn't accessible currently...(stored offsite)

thanks, all.

Edited by porcupine

I'm not sure why this seems to be a secret! :lol:@dikman, anyone?

I think the bore size is close to 1/2".  I will have to check the replacement wheel I bought.

glenn

Thank you! I have seen several videos and some threads, here, and still no mention of the shaftsize/bore.

If you can help, I appreciate it!  I cannot get to the machine right now to measure, that is the reason for the query.

Either a dealer or an enthusiast with a caliper will have to find time to measure their machine's output shaft to answer that. Knowing Singer, it will be some bizarre diameter, somewhere between right and wrong.

Hi, Wiz. Thanks for your great series in the stickies. VERY Useful!

I figured it wouldn't be as easy as "oh it's a standard 5/8" pulley" :lol::lol:

I saw the thread from earlier in the year about this, and assumed the user who had already done this on a 111w machine would know the answer. He was online at the time, so I took a shot.

If someone does a nice mod, and shows it off, some details for others who would like to try similar would be welcomed!

Glenn  is right it's 1/2".

Thanks, Bob!

Don't know how I missed this one - I measured the original handwheel off my 111WSV77 and yep, it's 1/2", so it's a pretty safe bet that the 155 would be the same as Glenn and Bob said.

Thanks dikman.

Thought I would catch you online, but you were too fast...

At this point, everything I read just engenders 5 more questions, and I have to go look them up, too!:rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone. I have had this old girl (111w)sitting around since the late '90s. It's about time I got some use from it.

The gentleman I bought it from said he repaired machines at the old Rawlings baseball glove factory in MO. He had some real nice cutoffs of fairly soft leather from ball gloves that he demonstrated the machine with. I had canvas in mind when I bought it, so I was pretty impressed with a couple layers of leather.:lol: He had gone thru the machine thoroughly, and had new timing belt, appeared to be new bobbin case and hook, New table surface and thread "tree". Motor was new aftermarket clutch motor. Did some canvas boat covers, and some seating in vinyl, with no hint of any problem. I paid him too much for it, so never could bring myself to take a loss on it, and kept it around, hoping for a reason to get some use out of it!

Edited by porcupine