https://ibb.co/d6ACfz

https://ibb.co/dBZG7e

https://ibb.co/cPVCfz

Hey there,

I’ve made a few toolbelts over the past couple of months and have been looking to steer my business in this direction (work gear, pouches, aprons, tool rolls). 

The design of the pouches are done w the customers as far as placement and size of bags, and little add ons. 

I’m mostly looking for help marketing this stuff and making it. Looking for tools to help speed up the process, tough materials to make it with, and places to market this gear that tradesmen and women will see it. 

Have any of you dabbled in this area before? Any help is appreciated. 

Thanks! 

-Kyle 

www.pheesoriginalgoods.ca

8EF1B34C-C5E2-460F-8646-5CCF57FE0745.jpeg

Those are pretty remarkable.  Nice execution!  

Maybe one thing to think about would be making a fully modular system rather than a customized rig (like the ones used in the military).  This would allow the user to pick and choose which setup best fits their trade.   Picking and choosing could be simplified and optimized fairly easily on a website (and could be made fun and interactive).

Do you hand cut each piece or do you have dies made?  While a major upfront cost, dies will dramatically cut down on time and, in the end, cost. 

Looking forward to seeing your brand and projects evolve.  Good luck! 

Thanks Webicons, that is a great idea about making modular setups. As I produce a few more designs I’ll definitely consider this. 

Im currently cutting by hand but looking at making a clicker. The modified bearing press looks like a good inexpensive method but I’d prefer to make one with a swing arm. Haven seen any online aside from custom expensive ones. Looking to make one though.. any ideas on that?

I’ve seen this done to varying degrees of success:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/35165-how-to-modify-a-shop-press-into-a-clicker-press/

A Harbor Freight press is fairly inexpensive (don’t forget the 20% coupon).  It would probably pay for itself on the first job.  

Exellent work and yes yoi shiuld design modules and get clicking. Look at iron worker "frogs"as a product.

Looking forward to seeing how you progress.

Get in with the union halls and show off you gear to the carpenters, framers, form workers and iron workers etc.

Give the first set out and once people see it on the site they will come to you.

2 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Give the first set out and once people see it on the site they will come to you.

Building on this that: run a small competition with one of these as prize. Offer first runners up a discount coupon...

Very nice concept, by the way! And looks very sturdy.

Excellent job. Wish I had something like that years ago when I was building houses!

Those are nice big rigs. As an older carpenter I would lean towards something smaller (not knocking your dream, just offering feedback).

I remember when I was younger I wanted that huge McNichols framing rig. I never got one, but as I've grown older my tastes changed. Hip and back problems from getting older really make one want to carry less.

As for moving faster. The clicker is the way to go, I'm sure. Cowboy offers a 10 ton that runs on household ( 110v ) electricity. It's 3 grand but for a small business I think that's an obtainable goal. It will probably click 3x faster than a hand system, maybe more.

Good luck.

On topic of the size of the bags.... when I was framing the old guy Merv I worked with would always reach into his nail pouch and say "well outa nails...time go home"...at 3pm every day... so too big = too many nails = too long a day.....

He also was fond of saying "Don't ever drop your chisel on me again kid."...that wasn't a much a chuckle as the nail thing but still good advice.

Your hardware is very robust. Yes, that's a good thing, but your buyer has to haul all that around in addition to the tools, and yes all those nails. Do a bit of engineering and find out how to get the most work for the least weight. Remember the user has to carry this rig around all day, in addition to tools/hardware. Don't use 14oz leather if 8oz will do, and same goes for the swivel snaps, D rings etc. 

After building airplanes, I've grown to appreciate the difference between strengthening a tractor, vs an airplane. Tractor, weld on more steel...airplane, go light, radius corners, and cut lightening holes wherever possible.

Another example: Hikers/climbers look to save weight, like cutting half the handle of your toothbrush off. That's a fraction of an ounce, right there! And, it allows you to carry more nails. 

Jeff

Those are super cool and they look solid. I got nothing new to add other than what folks have already said. Try making or getting into some carpentry groups on Facebook to get the word out too. I loathe social media but made a profile specifically for pushing my stuff, not that I've gotten around to making it function yet...

On 8/22/2018 at 3:33 PM, bikermutt07 said:

As for moving faster. The clicker is the way to go, I'm sure. Cowboy offers a 10 ton that runs on household ( 110v ) electricity. It's 3 grand but for a small business I think that's an obtainable goal. It will probably click 3x faster than a hand system, maybe more.

The CB-10 Runs on 220V power.   Just did an update to our page on it.  http://www.solar-leather.com/10-ton-cb-10/

Modifying a bearing press is a very effective way to get a manual clicker.  However, unless you use heavy plate and lots of vertical stiffeners, the outside edges can flex too much.  So use more metal when you build it.   When in doubt, add more steel.  :)

9 hours ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

The CB-10 Runs on 220V power.   Just did an update to our page on it.  http://www.solar-leather.com/10-ton-cb-10/

Modifying a bearing press is a very effective way to get a manual clicker.  However, unless you use heavy plate and lots of vertical stiffeners, the outside edges can flex too much.  So use more metal when you build it.   When in doubt, add more steel.  :)

Thanks for the correction, Alexander. My bad.