YouTube has numerous how to's on lace cutting. If you want a lace beveler search bernie46, or click the link. I have several friends who use those type stranders and bevelers with great success. I would suggest making yours from a scrap of some sort of very dense hardwood. It will last longer. Buy high quality injector style blades two of the whip makers I know even hone their injector blades for extra sharpness and longevity of reuse. 

Bernie is no longer with us, cancer claimed him a few years back. While his legacy of teaching remains. I can attest to the flight of his whips, the boldness of their crack and the love of working leather that he put into each and every bit of braiding he did.     

On 8/27/2019 at 1:24 PM, Grihm said:

Rein rounder ity was called. I call it lace maker in Sweden but i hope it makes sense anyways. Adding a pic.

9323_-_Randall_15_hole_rein_rounder__450 (1).jfif

A rein rounder is not the same as a lace maker. It doesn't cut, it only compresses the leather into a round shape. There are cheaper models that you secure in a vise instead of the bench top like your pic. You may want to checkout Bruce Johnson's guide on how to use one to make sure that's what you actually want to do.

https://brucejohnsonleather.com/files/8814/0658/3888/BruceJohnsonLeatherTutorialReinRounderUse.pdf

I'm not getting how Bernie guaged his width by cutting the INSIDE of the lace, but.... whatever ;)

@JLSleatherI went back and looked at all the videos. After his death his family seems to have removed many of his videos. The one I linked to only showed how sized lace was beveled. He had one which showed, using a common aussie strander to rough cut lace to width, stretch it, then use a homemade wooden block to both resize then bevel the lace. Many of his videos show him using both the early wooden version and the upgrade. I will figure out which ones show it in use as time permits.  

A friend of his was a machinist. Bernie asked him to make an aluminum version. Here is the link to the upgraded version..It is very doable in wood with simple hand tools.

I made one in wood for a friend of mine who braids. Some time later he still uses and loves it. 

Hoping this helps to clarify any confusion.  

Edited by bullmoosepaddles
clarity

Yeah, i 'git' that. He's cuting to size here, beveling edges later.  Bernie didn't do quite that - I was watchin'.

BUT WHAT them aussie boys talkin' bout thutty five feet?  I thought them down under boys was in meters....

As a former tool maker, gotta wonder why a guy used a chunk of aluminum that big and din't ream a couple hoes for shoulder screws through it holding it down?@!

@JLSleatherI am assuming Bernie sold most of his work to kinky Americans who mostly understand feet. 

I found the entire lace cutting video embedded in a whip making tutorial. If your interested? If not then maybe it will inspire someone else. Go well Sir.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF6843B25F674C890

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:54 AM, JLSleather said:

I thought them down under boys was in meters....

Depends on a bloke's (or shiela's) age. I am 55, and we learnt both at school but mostly metric IIRC, then focused on metric as a boilermaker. Some people favour one or the other depending on where their life took them after school ended.

I haven't been able to get time to follow the forum lately and am finding a few questions answered today. Why did three people recently ask me about a tool that cuts round lace?answered. Lace cutters and bevelers seem to be one of those things that range from as simple as a notch in piece of wood and pocket knife or a piece of slotted plastic pipe and a blade  to a bevy of made versions that range from rattling loose to true to up 1/1000 inch. Some like angled notches like the Lacemaster or Jueschke  some like an angled blade like the Hansen, some like thumbscrew adjustments like  Barbara's version (Y-Knot), Bryan Neubert, or the Tim George string cutter. There really is a rock to fit every frog concerning lace tools.