Sign in to follow this  
Horsewhishper

Help with tooling

Helpppppppp! I am getting frustrated, I can't seem to get my floral tooling to pop! I tool alot but have never done a lot of Sheridan style and would love to learn. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a picture on how it looks now? Also, do you cut with a swivel knife first or do you bevel directly?

I think it looks good. What you can do to make it pop out when you color it is to first add an alcohol color to the background. Go for a darker option than what you will use on the entire piece later on. Let´s say black background and when that´s added, you add an antique dark brown with a soft spunge or cloth. Add the antique in circles and don´t push too hard. Add layer on layer after each layer is dry. When you are satisfied, add a sealer, then oil or leatherfat and polish for a fantastic end result.

Also, you can add scratches and small nooks etc in the petals or leafs to add another layer to help with the popping out. 

Not too bad (AKA ... better than my 1st effort!)

As @Grihm said, if you apply antique to the tooled area, but leave the rest of the leather a natural colour, that will make your design POP!

As with most things, practice practice and more practice will improve your end result. Google "swivel knife practice". There's a few youtube channels that have an opinion or 2.

Here is my second attempt

20180821_133933.jpg

36 minutes ago, Horsewhishper said:

Here is my second attempt

20180821_133933.jpg

That looks very good and the details in the pattern helps it pop out. Good background coloring and a good smooth surface. Stay on it =) It looks really good.