blink1688

First time repairing and altering boots

I've been asked if I can help someone with three sets of boots and I'm looking for some guidance. This is my first time working on boots.

Pairs 1 & 2: The owner recently recovered from a broken leg. The damage to her leg and the reduced activity has caused her leg, particularly around the calf, to become larger. She had one of the pairs custom made for her before the accident and she'd really like to keep them. For these two pairs I'm looking to learn the following:

• Are either of these candidates for stretching? (I'm am worried about the pair with patent leather at the top developing cracks if I attempt to stretch them -- she didn't even get a chance to use this pair before her accident)
  • If stretching is viable, what is the best way to go about that? (I assume it would be best to refer to a shoe repair shop in this case?)
  • Both pairs have a V-shaped relief cut along the inside of the calf (1.5" to 2" down and about 0.5" to 0.75" wide at the top) bridged with elastic. I was considering making this V longer and slightly wider. Is this a good idea?
  • If making the V larger is the appropriate route, what type of elastic is this and where can I get some?

Pair 3: The owner of this pair has a tendency to let her leg rub... a LOT. The interior lining still looks to be in good condition. I'm planning to cut away the frayed edges of the exterior leather, making a patch on the hole, and adding a reinforcement panel to both boots to make them symmetrical (only one of the boots has a hole right now). What I'm looking to learn here:

• What should I be wary of while making this repair?
  • What leather is best for the job? (I am currently thinking of using lightweight black oil tanned)

Boot pair 2, tight calf 3.jpg

Boot pair 2, tight calf 2.jpg

Boot pair 2, tight calf 1.jpg

Boot pair 1, tight calf 4.jpg

Boot pair 1, tight calf 3.jpg

Boot pair 1, tight calf 2.jpg

Boot pair 1, tight calf 1.jpg

Boot pair 3, Shaft repair 2.jpg

Boot pair 3, Shaft repair 1.jpg

Edited by blink1688
Pictures appeared in wrong order

I would suggest a visit to your local ex military store and buy some old boots to practice in before you try the important stuff, your name could be rubbish if you make a poor job and new skills take time to learn, maybe your local library has a book on boot repairs if not plenty i guess on Amazon and the like

2 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I would suggest a visit to your local ex military store and buy some old boots to practice in before you try the important stuff, your name could be rubbish if you make a poor job and new skills take time to learn, maybe your local library has a book on boot repairs if not plenty i guess on Amazon and the like

Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm practicing on an old pair my wife has that don't fit her anymore and needs a similar alteration :)

The V slot approach with elastic is the correct choice.  Elastic is available up to about 12 inches wide that only stretches in one direction, and is made and used specifically for this.

You can try to stretch but if the amount to stretch is more than about 1/2" it will take a long time and several things can go wrong... and if you don't have the proper stretcher then things can definitely go wrong.

On 9/5/2018 at 9:32 PM, johnv474 said:

The V slot approach with elastic is the correct choice.  Elastic is available up to about 12 inches wide that only stretches in one direction, and is made and used specifically for this.

You can try to stretch but if the amount to stretch is more than about 1/2" it will take a long time and several things can go wrong... and if you don't have the proper stretcher then things can definitely go wrong.

I'm having some trouble identifying and locating the proper elastic. Do you have any suggestions on where to buy and what to look for?

Edited by blink1688
Forgot quote

Where I work sells it (a shoe findings warehouse).  To be fair to other vendors, Frankfort and Southern Leather also sell it.  Our shop is Landwerlen Leather in Indianapolis 317-636-8300 (no website).

For as much as you should need it shouldn't cost much to get you some cut and dropped in the mail.