DennisT

Singer 211G166 Safety Clutch Repair

I just acquired a 211G166 that had previously had the safety clutch/sprocket welded to the hook drive shaft. I'd really like to put it back to original if possible as I wanted to make this my leather machine.  As far as I can tell at this point it sews fine.  The belt lower timing is advanced one cog relative to the marks but the hook is almost perfectly in time as well as the compound feed timing.  My guess is there was a problem with the clutch and the solution was to weld the pulley to the shaft and somehow compensated for the timing marks being off.  I'm pretty sure I can grind away the weld enough to remove the old pulley and replace with a safety clutch(240539),  which I have found several sources.  Tha original safety clutch (244759) is not available.  The problem I have is if the hook drive shaft is not salvageable I have no source for that part (508350).  I'm hesitant to touch anything without a way to obtain a shaft.  Any suggestions?  Should I leave well enough alone.  Any sources for the shaft I can't find with google?  Is there a substitute?

safetyclutchwelded.jpg

It looks to me as far as I can tell the just welded the collar part to the shaft(that is normally held on w/2 screws),is it welded somewhere else too?If not it should still kick-out like it should.

CoboyBob,

Thanks for the response.  You made me look more carefully at the parts diagram.  I assumed the safety clutch was supposed to have the levers and catches like the 111W155 which was missing from my unit.   From the parts manual I now see this one has a ball bearing release mechanism.  I attempted to lock the shaft and simulate a fault but the clutch does not release.  That could be from sitting or needing adjustment.  The ball bearings, springs and screws are there.  I will play with it and see if it will function.

Dennis

Somebody might have tightened the 3-spring setting screws,from the pic it looked like they were missing,back them out alittle(maybe 1/2 of the way out) & see if it disengages.

CowboyBob,

You are correct. Thanks for observing that.  I guess you have seen a few of these.  Reviewing the pic on Eric's thread "Rebirth of a Singer 211G155" I noticed the lock screws were almost flush with the outside of the overload pulley on that machine as opposed to mine being burried.  I agree the ball bearings must be locked down.  Tomorrow I will play with it.  Hopefully all of the springs and set screws are present.  

Dennis

You don't want to back them off too much or it'll kick out when you adjust the stitch length.

Thanks Bob.  I was able to play with it and get it somewhat initially adjusted.  The lock set screws are missing but thay should be easy to come by.  The other issue is the stitch length plunger is stuck in the down position, cut down or replaced by a rivet.  In any event it can't engage being too short and no spring.  I must grab the adjusting disc with soft jawed pliers to change the stitch length.  I ordered an new plunger, spring and clip so hopefully I can remove the old one.  I'm not real familiar with what the plunger should look like but what's in there doesn't look like the pic in the parts list.  It looks more like a rivet and is in there tight.  I just picked the machine and table up in Canada while visiting a friend and won't be back home to get it set back up for a couple of weeks yet.  Then I will tackle trying to get it properly cleaned up and adjusted.

Dennis Turner

Tacsew T111-155, Singer 211G166, Singer 31-15, REX 607Z, Pfaff 130

Edited by DennisT

5 hours ago, DennisT said:

The lock set screws are missing but thay should be easy to come by. 

In my (limited) experience the worst thing that can happen with older machines is to have screws missing!! I have scrapped one or two older domestic machines and have a wonderful assortment of screws from them, but so far none of them have fitted any of the industrial machines that I have!

Good luck.