howlback

Oval Punches

Recommendations? Craft tool one lasted about 10 minutes.

My craft tool needed sharpening a few times since I bought it, but it’s only 3 months old...

17 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

My craft tool needed sharpening a few times since I bought it, but it’s only 3 months old...

I’ve sharpened it. However, the punch repeated clogs rendering it useless until I pry out the clog. The design doesn’t seem ideal as the exhaust tube is long and doesn’t taper out.

the only way I’ve found I can prevent this from happening is by putting a lot of force behind my 24 oz. maul. Even then it’s no guarantee but I wonder if a heavier maul would help.

Edited by howlback

Oh, I just use a ball point stylus to poke the plugs out. Then if there is one jimmied in that the stylus can’t reach, I use a broken needle to get it.

A heavier maul might help, it will certainly put more force on each tap. I am going to get a bakelight hammer tomorrow. It seems to need less arm/shoulder effort and everything seems to cut like butter. 

There will still be plugs though...

Weaver Leather Master Tools are nice punches.  They have round and oval.

Maybe time for a simple press to do the work, available in many tool shops for about £100

Polish the inside surfaces of the punch with sandpaper or a small, fine cut file. Occasionally punch through a block of paraffin wax to keep the inside slick and free from excess friction.  These should help greatly. Until you can polish the inside, try the wax. You may be amazed. The wax can be found at most food and hardware stores. 

Stohlman, in "Leather Tools: How to use them,  how to sharpen them" suggest doing the wax at the end of a punch run to keep the punch free from cutouts and lubed. If you do not have the book, it is an excellent investment in your leather journey education.  

Go well Sir

Edited by bullmoosepaddles
spelling

When I was starting out, I bought all my tools from my local Tandy. When I started pounding on a big strap end punch, the edge crumbled.  As a longtime woodworker, I can sharpen anything, but the steel in that tool was junk. I went back to Tandy and asked the manager if there was anything of better quality.  He was pretty blunt. "I won't buy that crap. Get your tools from Osborne."  

I took his advice and have never looked back -- strap-end punched, round punches, bag punches, rotary punches, you name it. They hold up well and resharpen easily. I also have a few of the Weaver Master Tools, and they'er very nice indeed. 

I do still use the little edge rounders from Tandy (all my big ones are from Osborne).  

Edited by malabar

15 hours ago, malabar said:

When I was starting out, I bought all my tools from my local Tandy. When I started pounding on a big strap end punch, the edge crumbled.  As a longtime woodworker, I can sharpen anything, but the steel in that tool was junk. I went back to Tandy and asked the manager if there was anything of better quality.  He was pretty blunt. "I won't buy that crap. Get your tools from Osborne."  

I took his advice and have never looked back -- strap-end punched, round punches, bag punches, rotary punches, you name it. They hold up well and resharpen easily. I also have a few of the Weaver Master Tools, and they'er very nice indeed. 

I do still use the little edge rounders from Tandy (all my big ones are from Osborne).  

Good morning,

My name is Daniel with c.s. osborne & co.
For along time now we have stop selling to Tandy
This is a nice Gesture and compliment to our tools........If ever in the future you have any questions or concerns about our tools we stand 100% behind our name. you can contact us at email:cso@csosborne to request any catalog and or pricing

Thank you
Daniel
Sales

For wholesale customers, watch for your next sale flier with prices from 9/1-10/31, the round and oval Master Tool Punches will be going on sale.  They look to be about 15% off.  These punches (along with our Deluxe Round Knife) are featured on the back cover of the flier.  Any specific questions shoot me a pm.  

@Stevejm1980..An observation..speaking on behalf of myself..
https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/84649-tool-supplier/?tab=comments#comment-583851
my 2cts

On 8/26/2018 at 6:16 PM, malabar said:

The "Old" Tandy tools were nice, the new ones are absolute garbage, Osborne,  Weaver and King are very good quality tools

On 8/28/2018 at 7:26 PM, Weaver Leather Supply said:

For wholesale customers, watch for your next sale flier with prices from 9/1-10/31, the round and oval Master Tool Punches will be going on sale.  They look to be about 15% off.  These punches (along with our Deluxe Round Knife) are featured on the back cover of the flier.  Any specific questions shoot me a pm.  

welcome to the forum.

you'd better be on the wave. there are many spicy customers over here ))