iknowit101

Trouble changing stitch length on Singer 29K58

Thanks a lot for ALL the great advise we get here.

I just got a Singer patcher 29K58 and my issue is that I am not able to change the stitch length, I have moved down the piece in the back of the presser foot all the way down as  indicated on the owners manual and the youtube videos but that doesn't change the length of the stitch.

Is there any other setting that can help me change the length of the stitch? I thought that this one would be an easy one to fix but after adjusting the piece all the way down still does not work.

As always, any advise will be appreciated.

On mine a 29K53, you can only change the needle length setting buy using about the top half of the bar, after that it makes no difference. Right op top for small stitches, about just before half way down to get about 7-7.5 stitch per inch

Manual and spare parts list for similar to yours on link

29K51_53_55_56 Instuction and parts list.pdf

Check If the tip of the bell crank lever is worn - this has a biggest effect on the stitch length.

Also make sure the stitch length adjuster is correctly assembled. The gib has a notch this notch has to be upwards and the squared piece also has a notch and the notch here has to be downwards. if you have one or both parts the other way around the stitch may be shorter.

Just suggestions w/o having seen your machine.

On 8/23/2018 at 7:04 AM, Constabulary said:

Check If the tip of the bell crank lever is worn - this has a biggest effect on the stitch length.

Also make sure the stitch length adjuster is correctly assembled. The gib has a notch this notch has to be upwards and the squared piece also has a notch and the notch here has to be downwards. if you have one or both parts the other way around the stitch may be shorter.

Just suggestions w/o having seen your machine.

Thank you guys, I certainly will check your suggestions starting with the gib notch, obviously I don't want to go purchasing parts if I don't need them but if I do I surely will replace the Bell crank lever, luckily I did got this beauty at a good price, so even if I have to spend some money to get it fix it is so worth it.

Thanks a bunch! keep up the good work.

Update: 

I checked the "Stitch length adjuster" and I think I have it the way that is supposed to be. the "gib" (part 8616 or 82230)

Per Constabulary's post: 

The gib has a notch this notch has to be upwards: I can see the NOTCH on the gib that has to be upwards. I suppose the notch on the gi must be facing the lever for it to make sense to be there?

and the squared piece also has a notch and the notch here has to be downwards. if you have one or both parts the other way around the stitch may be shorter.

Question: The arrows on the "Stitch length adjuster"  are they supposed to be pointing upwards or downwards?

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: When I got the machine it was missing the "Thread Pressure plates" (on the Blue rectangle) so I borrow the one that the machine has for winding the bobbins, but in order to put the Thread Pressure plates in I had to pull out the pin (the one with the spring ) that holds the plates in place, once this was done the plates had No pressure, the only way to adjust them so the plates could apply pressure on the thread was to adjust the two nuts on the RED rectangle down.

The reason I think this is relevant is because once I realized that the two nuts on the red rectangle  where moved, I try to move them back and this in fact helped JUST A LITTLE, so the stitch is now better but not by much. 

I guess that the point I am trying to make is that there are other parts that affect the stitch length.

5b86bc27b8a06_29K58top.thumb.jpg.f1f750d94d6b4cb22a3aa9652a50a9f3.jpg5b86be7ed2810_29K588616or82230.jpg.a06b51d215188938ae94ca7ac0af835a.jpg