This was a project I made earlier this year.  I was contacted by a woman that wanted a 5x8 notebook with a floral carving that matched the sunflower designs on her saddle.  After she sent me some pictures this is what I came up with and she loved it.  She chose the shell design for the back because she thought that just looked cool.

IMG_1892.JPGIMG_1893.JPG

That is beautiful work, so clean and precise!

Nice work, as always, Bob!

Jeff

1 hour ago, Prusty said:

Total agreement.

Really nice work Bob!  I have a question about the shell stamping - do you start from the top and work your way down?  I think that is the case, but sometimes it is not so obvious to me!  Also, what weight leather did you use?

Gary

Sunflowers look great. I'd love to do a collaboration.

12 hours ago, Prusty said:

More agreement! 

9 hours ago, garypl said:

do you start from the top and work your way down? 

Gary, I'd guess that Bob starts from the center. Right, Bob? I like that stamp! Where did you buy it?

Thanks all for the kind words.  To answer the questions by @LederRudi and @garypl I start stamping at the bottom and work my way up.  I do a row of the shell stamps across the bottom and them stamp a row above it working my way to the top.  I keep a ruler handy so I can check the rows periodically to make sure they are staying even.  Also, the shell stamp and the filler inside it (it's actually two stamps used together) come from Barry King.

The leather was 6 oz. leather from American Leather Direct.  I've really liked the side I bought from them and will buy from them again.

Amazing! I had to go back and try to see two stamps. Twice the work, but a really nice effect.

Jeff

Awe-inspiring work, Bob...as always.

5 hours ago, alpha2 said:

Amazing! I had to go back and try to see two stamps. Twice the work, but a really nice effect.

Jeff

Not too much more work Jeff.  It's one of the bigger geometric stamps I have and the work goes really quick.  I don't have to be super precise like with a basket weave stamp either.

4 hours ago, Double Daddy said:

Awe-inspiring work, Bob...as always.

Thank you very much Chris.

Thanks again for the info Bob!

Gary

Amazing just amazing, do you happen to have a picture of the inside

16 hours ago, Bob Blea said:

Thanks all for the kind words.  To answer the questions by @LederRudi and @garypl I start stamping at the bottom and work my way up.  I do a row of the shell stamps across the bottom and them stamp a row above it working my way to the top.  I keep a ruler handy so I can check the rows periodically to make sure they are staying even.  Also, the shell stamp and the filler inside it (it's actually two stamps used together) come from Barry King.

The leather was 6 oz. leather from American Leather Direct.  I've really liked the side I bought from them and will buy from them again.

Thanks for the info, Bob!