Wreford

Tool roll conversion

Good morning

I'd really like some assistance please. I want to make the attached link roll out of leather. Will it be as easy as just folding the bottom part over and stitch the pockets or will the 'fold over' section have to be bigger and separate in order to make room for the bulges of, for example deodorant? Their tutorial says to cut two similar size pieces and sew together.

Any assistance in this regard will be appreciated.

You will need to account for the thickness of leather for your folded over parts and allow for a stitch allowance.  I would figure out what I wanted in the roll and do a practice fit by laying it down on theater leather and folding over the bottom piece.

Thank you Kiwican, much appreciated. I'm a total novice as far as leather work is concerned and eager to learn. It all started when i needed to make a pouch for the wooden pens i make by hand and im just worried now ... Is this addictive???

1 hour ago, Wreford said:

Thank you Kiwican, much appreciated. I'm a total novice as far as leather work is concerned and eager to learn. It all started when i needed to make a pouch for the wooden pens i make by hand and im just worried now ... Is this addictive???

Hi Wreford, welcome to Leather Anonymous, a.k.a. Leatherworker.net... The 12 steps does not involve detox at all, but it tracks through the envy of the exceptional pieces on here through to evolving mastery... It start off with seeing something and thinking "ahhhh, I can make that easily!"... And then buying a "few" tools. And then a few more. And then a few more expensive tools. And better leather. And a bench. And by then it's impossible to get out of it, because your family keeps on saying "that looks nice!" and you just want to try making something close to that masterpiece you've seen on leatherworker.net... Confusing, I know, but completely addictive.

I see you're also from South Africa - there are quite a few Saffas on here. I'm on the northwestern side of Egoli. Do you have easy access to a good leather supplier? And a tool merchant?... :unsure:

Hi Riem

Im from the FS, very limited access to any of the above. Very frustrating! The positive about that is that i learn to do things the basic way, slowly but surely improving - i hope.

This is what i ended up with.

Should I treat the inside which is very soft and silky with something like wax or oil?1537082524563435.thumb.JPG.c4a9bb6fde02683ba1f8040b21a2a1ea.JPG

1537082525748188.JPG

1537082525361312.JPG

1537082525029124.JPG

That's a clever idea and seems to work well.

Thanks, have to try it out for a while to see if it is practical