Garyspruill

Clicker Press Dies

The normal question that comes from this title is: who makes clicker press dies.

My question is a tad different.

When I come up with an idea, I put it on paper, then to graph paper and cut it out from there. My problem is: when I need to have a clicker press cut out dies made, I, as in me, am not up to speed on the software knowledge to give the die makers the needed files/file types they want to be able to make these dies. I downloaded a 1 week trial of Adobe Illustrator and my goodness, it was like,,,,, not happening. The technology curve fly by me like a bullet I guess. I killed that crazy subscription. Almost tossed the laptop out the window in the end:-)

Here lies my question: Do we know of a maker of clicker press dies that we/I can send our paper cut outs to -  that they can make these files for us?? Take my paper cut outs, draw them out in a correct type software package and save them to the files or file types they need to make these dies? The aka.: artwork? Maybe someone on this forum that does this as a service for ($)?

The next question that I will most likely be asked is: where are you? I am in North Texas, aka: Azle, TX: suburb of Fort Worth, TX

I use a normal hand 4 ton clicker press.

Any suggestions or directions would be grateful 

Gary

Check out Texas Custom Dies, Inc.  They have a banner ad on this forum's home page, if it's not there, just keep clicking on the forum logo and the banners will cycle. They're in Mansfield. I would imagine they can help you or maybe head you in the right direction.

Jeff

Before tossing your laptop I would revisit Adobe Illustrator.  It has a function called “Live Trace” which can convert a hand drawn image (scanned, photo, etc) into digital line art which can be cleaned up, sized correctly and sent off to the die maker.  It could certainly save you a few bucks. 

AI is also great for making templates including sewing lines and stitch spacing. 

Take a class or two.  It really is a great program.  If you have any question about it, feel free to DM me.  I don’t have the most recent version of AI but I reckon most of the functions are still the same. 

International Die in Ga. does this for me all the time

7 minutes ago, JKHelms said:

International Die in Ga. does this for me all the time

Sandy is "da man", eh?  Talented AND funny.  Paper pattern is fine.  Tell her Jeff sent ya (she'll ask 'Jeff who', but the service is still good!).

http://intdieco.com/index.html

Edited by JLSleather

Wow everyone!

Thank you to everyone for helping out.

Will contact all three listed in this thread and see the "whats up" with all three.

Thank you, thank you and one more time: Thank you

Gary

There's lots of places for dies.  

A&A Die in Georgia will take paper.

aadieinc.com 

I have visited their shop and met with them personally but not used them.  

I always just poorly sketch out the design, add the measurements, take a picture of it and email it to my guy in China.  He makes high quality, cheap dies, that have lasted years. 

Edited by Seamus76

How do you find a "guy in China"?

5 hours ago, Rannoch said:

How do you find a "guy in China"?

Ask Mr Chin.