Bennyg11

Juki ddl 227

Up to this point I have hand sewn all my projects. I have the opportunity to purchase a Juki 227 with walking foot with clutch motor and table for only $200. I know Juki as a quality company but will this model with a walking foot be something that can do wallets and small bags. I would like to thank everyone in advance for their input

The Juki DDL-227 is not a walking foot machine, nor a leather machine. It is just a high speed straight stitch machine meant to sew cloth garments.

That's what I thought but the seller keeps telling me it has a walking foot and I don't think that was ever an option for that model please correct me if I am wrong 

Ask them to video on there phone a shot of the walking needle, that would be quick and easy and confirm if they have confused the model number

Do a google search on Juki 227, it will show quite clearly that the seller doesn't know what he's talking about!

The seller can say anything, that does not make it truth. All DDL series machines are high speed textile bottom feed machines. Period.

Keep your eyes open and don’t get discouraged - I’ve seen a lot of good deals on walking foot machines of all sorts pop up in Washington over the past few years.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:02 PM, DonInReno said:

Keep your eyes open and don’t get discouraged - I’ve seen a lot of good deals on walking foot machines of all sorts pop up in Washington over the past few years.

Any thoughts on a singer 29-4 I know it's an old cobbler machine but I'm just starting out and wanting to get into leather holster and western type setups

You need at least a walking foot machine - that’s what I’d be looking for.  The 29-4 patcher shouldn’t be your primary.  

37 minutes ago, Bennyg11 said:

Any thoughts on a singer 29-4 I know it's an old cobbler machine but I'm just starting out and wanting to get into leather holster and western type setups

That is the wrong machine for holsters. The 29-4 is a cobbler's shoe upper sewing machine. It is meant to sew 4 to 8 ounces of leather. It can sew into 1/4 inch of soft to medium temper leather, but nominally with thinner thread than is suitable for securing a holster. The Singer 29 series manual recommends wetting the leather if you need to sew 1/4 inch of hard temper leather. The teeth on the foot will dig in even more than on dry leather and leave horrible tooth mark patterns.

All that said, the 29-4 "can" be fitted with a #22 needle and  the dime sized bobbin threaded with a few yards of #138 thread. You will be lucky to get 8 stitches per inch and the knots will tend to stay visible near the bottom layer.

You have two options if you want to make "Western" gear - hand stitching or a heavy duty machine. The most common machine used is a 441-class, e.g. Cowboy CB4500 etc.