DacianFalx

Yet another machine newb and his questions...;-)

I'll try to keep this short (ish),

Artisan, Techsew, Consew, Cowboy, Cobra...all seem to make lovely machines, all seem to be lovely people.

How does one choose which brand to purchase/work with over another?
I've narrowed it to the Techsew 2700 (for my next purchase), but each of these companies seem to offer something similar enough that I'm finding it nearly impossible to make a decision amongst them.

No, I don't know my thread/needle weights, if that'd help. I've done everything 'til now either handsewing, or with a Tippmann Boss set up with 277 thread.

I'll keep handsewing my fully period jacks, flacket/costrel/bombards, thanks. But I tire of handsewing 2-7 oz leathers for bags, wallets, and sundry other accessories. 

How do I choose which company to purchase from?

Thanks!

IMG_0795.thumb.jpg.94a596d3ad528cd95fe209dfac289f6a.jpghalfchaps30.thumb.jpg.1b652ee98fc43c4ea54756edd71df0f8.jpg100_0723.thumb.jpg.210786ab75a300df22a4b8278cb99dcc.jpgWallet.thumb.jpg.6d016cd294113f55986515d029ebe3e6.jpg

I would check who has a local repair man for their machines as that may be very important in the future, also allow for the future you may wish to do some work in Veg tan so better to buy maybe a machine larger than you want now and be able to do more if the occasion calls for it

Let me preface my opinion by saying that I don't currently own a leather sewing machine(just a couple domestic machines), and sew all my leather by (aching) hand.  But I've been keeping my eyes and mind open for the day that I make the move to mechanical methods.  I've been watching this forum for a few years now and have learned a LOT!

I definitely agree with @chrisash, geography should be a factor when choosing a machine to buy, both for future service and support if you should need it, and for shipping since that could be a significant part of the price.  These machines are pretty heavy and distance becomes a factor in shipping cost.   Of course, the main factor will be whether the machine is suited to your needs.

The support that you can find on this website from talented amateurs such as Wizcrafts, Uwe, Gottaknow(not an amateur, but also not a dealer), and others is amazing to me.  The depth of knowledge is awesome.  But even more impressive and amazing to me is the support from the dealers that participate here, such as Cowboy Bob, Cobra Steve, Techsew Ron, Gregg at Keysew, SolarLeatherMachines and others.  They provide support not only for the machines they sell, but for others as well: it is astounding.  Additionally, dealers can provide phone support. There are even a few from dealers and amateurs from Down Under that jump in to help so you might even get an answer to a question in the middle of the night here!  :o  How cool is that!

When push comes to shove, tho, you may need a mechanic to look at the machine at some point, so geography does become a factor.  I don't know if there's anyplace around where you are in the fingerlakes region, but it's worth a look.  Of the dealers that I know of, Techsew is in Montreal, Keysew is in Philly and Toledo Industrial Sewing (Cowboy) is in Toledo.  None of those are more than a day's drive for you.    That's where I'd start!   Some of them have banner ads that you'll find at the top of the page here at LWN, so give the site a little love and click those as part of your search.

This all reminds me, I need to go visit Keysew one of these days and let Gregg buy me a cup of coffee.  They're a short train ride away, and I walk past every now and then on my way to a great little pub that has a nice selection of craft beers and good food.  Keysew is always closed that time of day, tho.  :)  

Hope that helps!

- Bill 

277 thread is too heavy for a Techsew 2700.  Max bobbin is 138.  Can use 207 for the needle.  If you want to continue with 277 thread, you will need to go to a heavier machine.  Each dealer can give you the specs for thread, foot lift, max thickness, etc.  Pick your closest dealer from the banner ads and take some examples of work you want to sew and go see them.  At least call and talk to them describing what you want to do.

Tom

Right, yes, I know 277 is too heavy for a 2700...that's why it's in my Tippmann. ;)

I'm looking to keep using that for the heavy stuff, hand-seing for my specialty items, and a new machine for the lighter stuff I'm also (still) hand-sewing. 

Also...almost all the "business financing" I'm seeing is through a company called QuickSpark Financial...can anyone speak to their experiences with them?