Nightshade

Chinese knock offs

7 hours ago, Nightshade said:

Well I was ready get a Juki 341 clone from a local seller but said it might take me a bit extra time to pick it because of scheduling around the hurricane. Well they made some smart comment and lost a $1200 sale.

Individual or business?

Business you now know not to bother with that seller you won't get any aftersale support

individual ?  Wait a few days if you really want the 341 and call them back maybe the rain will have washed out some of their attitude  

Personally I'd lean towards the suggestions to get a cb3200 instead

why?

Same bobbins / needle system / presser feet as the cb4500/class 4.  441 clones (all bigger than a 341 uses)

And  if you go for a cb4500 down the road for cowboy holsters which are thicker than a 341clone can do and mostly too heavy for the 3200 you'll already have experience with the machine plus have some common use items for both 

I believe using wiz's  dumbing down technique on a 3200 you'll be able to sew down to wallet weight

Just need a narrow throat plate and a flatbed conversion table plus a half hour to do the changeover  adjustments

You already know the cowboy  vendors on this forum support their machines even on secondary buyers

You've got a cb3200 on cl local to you minimal time and fuel to check it out

Yeah seller is asking close to msrp which is more than the 341 clone you mentioned 

But  that's asking not selling  price and long term i believe thats the better machine

no shipping it's local same as 341

no tax same as 341

it's set up for leather from a trusted vendor,   

whose 341  clone is it? Somebody with a good rep for support? Is the 341 set up for leather?I

How commonly used is that brand and model used by forum members?I

If not that right there should hint there's better options out there

can you take some scrap with you and try it out like the cb3200?

Make an offer on the 3200 worst they can say is no thanks

I used a herd of singer black iron domestics plus a  loaner juki562 (walkingfoot upholstery flatbed) when I first tried machine sewing leather which showed me real quick it's easier to work your machine down than push a machine past it's design limits

I now have both a cb3200 and a cb4500 they both have the niches

now my uncle has his juki back with a smaller drive pulley and The herd of singers only gets to eat fabric again

It's your coin and your call but I'd pass on the 341 and saddle up a Cowboy machine they work and have the support 

Btw a true into the same holes reverse back stitch is a wonderful thing to have

The one I was looking at getting was a Sewline SL5-1R from a business. 

I contacted the seller with the Cowboy minutes afterward. I'm still waiting for a reply. The contact link from CL doesnt have a phone or direct contact info.

For most lighter stuff I have an 50s era White Rotary and an older iron Singer that needs cleaning and tune up for thinner stuff, for now.

I'm thinking of getting a Juki DNU1541S, or clone, once I have an ROI on the first machine. Then getting a CB4500 after a ROI on the second.

The Sewline SL5-1R...Hmm... Is that place in Spartanburg? Same place that sells on eBay? Avoid. Generic machines, unresponsive (and then rude) owner.

Edited by R8R
Formatting

I'm not going to say anything else because until that last message they were very helpful.

But I got a CB3200 and with the extras and transferable warranty, he originally got it from Toledo, I ended up spending as much as the Sewline.

24 minutes ago, Nightshade said:

I'm not going to say anything else because until that last message they were very helpful.

But I got a CB3200 and with the extras and transferable warranty, he originally got it from Toledo, I ended up spending as much as the Sewline.

Awesome.