Transfer images to leather

New to this forum. I would like to know about transfering pictures, other mediums to leather

The search button in the top right corner is your friend.  There is an amazing amount of information on this site and most anything you can think of has already been discussed.  You probably want to look at the Billy 2Shews method.  You can find a free demonstration of his technique on YouTube for transferring photocopies to leather.  Other than that, you can do laser engraving, which gets expensive.  Good luck and welcome aboard!

One thing you can try is household wax paper, the kind used around the kitchen. Print your image on the wax paper using an inkjet printer. After you have printed the image you lay the printed side on the surface of the leather and use a roller to transfer the image.

Of course the image is going to be reversed but that is easily fixed if you have some computer savvy.

The easiest thing to do is to print out the image on some mid-weight vellum (which is waterproof) and then trace it onto the leather.  If you use this method, then you can re-size the image on the computer to fit the available "canvas" You're off to the races.

11 minutes ago, SaddleBags said:

trace it onto the leather

I may be wrong, but I believe the OP is looking for a process where a printed picture can be transferred onto a surface.

I think the usual method is to apply a coat of PVA glue, Mod Podge or similar to the surface, stick the printed picture face down onto the wet adhesive. After the adhesive is dry, wet the paper a little and rub the paper so that it all comes away from the surface, leaving just the picture behind.

Kinda like decoup0age, huh?

I think decoupage is sticking pictures all over a surface, then clear coating over the top. The process I detailed above, (which I have never used, just read about) is different because you remove the paper from the surface and leave just the picture.

Thanks all. I think I’ll try the Omni gel transfer medium 

There is a way with a tablet or mobile phone to use that to display a image you can trace. difficult to explain but look at the app here 

https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15340376/sketchar-augmented-reality-drawing-app-ios

Sorry forgot to say many more apps to do this. the only requirement is to use the camera on the back to show where the pen is against the picture on the screen which shows both the picture (jpg) and the hand drawing the image onto paper

I have one that i place the tablet on and between two large books and then copy below so everything remains steady

Edited by chrisash