Well I have finally found the time and energy to start on putting my leather work shop back together.

I was inspired by a smoking hot deal on a 206rb-1 passed on to me by @koreric75. Super thanks for that, bro.

It may be a few more weeks or months until I really get to make something again. The wife and I have promised each other to get our house more organized and guest friendly. That's proving to take a minute. But, here are some improvement pics.

This will be my spray booth area when done. I am using the left over materials from a twin sized water bed. This was the headboard.

6CABE360-6AAE-4D11-A626-35FF8A187599.jpeg

This will be my main work station for pounding, cutting, and maybe some equipment. I am thinking on the right I will have 3 or 4 laminations of granite/quartz and do the cabinet part in Formica. That is still up in the air though. I used more bed frame and some cabinets I demoed out of a factory. I put the plywood on the wall for future attachments. Not sure what system I will use yet, but now I don't have to fuss with stud placement.

A8E32A22-6574-442C-B959-27FAFEA4062C.jpeg

I hope you enjoyed this. More to come later.

Looking good Mutt, I did something similar with my workshop wall. I was going for pegboard to hold buckles, rings, clips etc, but I could not get the hooks when I wanted them, so I used 16mm melamine and long screws for the hooks.

It lets me see what I have, without searching through tackle-boxes.

peg board melamine.jpg

I like it. The closet sticks into the room so I have a small 2 x 8 foot wall for something similar. I have lots of screws. Thanks for the info.

As there is not a lot of weight on the hooks (screws), they are just screwed into the melamine. The screws are 5inch and 6inch. Some of the buckles are very small, so I cut off some of the screw heads to get the buckles on the hooks.

While I haven't used it yet, the LED light above the work area is super bright.

I have another one, but I haven't decided on final placement of it yet.

Shop is shapping up Mutt.

Rockoboy nice idea for the hardware.

Very Nice....

You had me with the gold Vader skull. Shop = complete.

Looking good. I have similar wall cabinets that I picked up at auction. They are Gladiator brand which I think either Home Depot or Lowes sells. I went to an auction for a wood shop that went out of business and picked up 6 of them for $25. I just had to pull them off the walls myself. They were pretty scratched up looking so i bought a couple cans of black and red Plasti-dip and bam! They look like new.

The only problem I have is we are always growing and always out of room. My entire shop, for lack of a better way to put it is a complete and total shit house currently. Going to have to get a much bigger place soon. Currently using about 1700sqft in my house so my over head is zero which is nice but the lack of work space is getting ridiculous. Not to mention our local Tandy store just moved a few blocks into a different building. They did not have room in the new place for the 8' x 4' craft table. It's an awesome 2 lower shelf metal table with the top shelf being 1" high density MDF completely covered with poundo board. It's currently in the garage in pieces because I just don't have room for it

001.JPG

002.JPG

That table sounds like a great score, price is almost irrelevant!

Just now, Rockoboy said:

That table sounds like a great score, price is almost irrelevant!

That's the best part. It was free...

39 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

It was free...

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Apologies to @bikermutt07 for hijacking his thread.

Edited by Rockoboy
Apologies

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

Apologies to @bikermutt07 for hijacking his thread.

No worries, now I know what to tell my local Tandy if they think about moving.

2 hours ago, Mark842 said:

Looking good. I have similar wall cabinets that I picked up at auction. They are Gladiator brand which I think either Home Depot or Lowes sells. I went to an auction for a wood shop that went out of business and picked up 6 of them for $25. I just had to pull them off the walls myself. They were pretty scratched up looking so i bought a couple cans of black and red Plasti-dip and bam! They look like new.

The only problem I have is we are always growing and always out of room. My entire shop, for lack of a better way to put it is a complete and total shit house currently. Going to have to get a much bigger place soon. Currently using about 1700sqft in my house so my over head is zero which is nice but the lack of work space is getting ridiculous. Not to mention our local Tandy store just moved a few blocks into a different building. They did not have room in the new place for the 8' x 4' craft table. It's an awesome 2 lower shelf metal table with the top shelf being 1" high density MDF completely covered with poundo board. It's currently in the garage in pieces because I just don't have room for it

001.JPG

002.JPG

like how you put some dye on the outside of the bottle so you can tell at a glance what color it is! I do that with dye, stain, glue, etc.

Jeff

9 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

like how you put some dye on the outside of the bottle so you can tell at a glance what color it is

It must be a leatherworker thing. I do it to!

4 hours ago, alpha2 said:

like how you put some dye on the outside of the bottle so you can tell at a glance what color it is! I do that with dye, stain, glue, etc.

Not really intentional. I've just developed the habit over the years of throwing on a set of rubber surgical gloves, pouring some dye in a shallow bowl and applying the dye by hand. By product is messy dye bottles as I put them away with my gloves on.

I love seeing every ones work area I guess I will have to post a picture since I made a lot of changes.

Mark 842  , WOW !!! you have a tin of  Neat-Lac' ??  Quite an  "antique" .......now :) 

I only have some  Neat-Lac  tins with some dried out Neat-lac in them . 

I've been tempted to show my workshop on here on occasion  ...........but its  too embarrassing  :blush: But I know where everything is,   well, ...almost.

HS 

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

WOW !!! you have a tin of  Neat-Lac' ??  Quite an  "antique" .......now

I have 94 tins of Neat Lac rat holed...and no, none is for sale.

1 hour ago, Mark842 said:

have 94 tins of Neat Lac rat holed...and no, none is for sale

Well, if you do run out you can get WyoSheen from Sheridan leathers.  It's exactly the same as the old NeatLac.

Paul

On 8/26/2018 at 5:19 PM, alpha2 said:

Jeff

:o:o:o You actually put dye on the outside of the bottle ON PURPOSE??

Most of MY bottles have so much dye on the outside already that I struggle to read the labels!  :lol: I have seriously considered labelling the caps to make sure I am getting the colour of dye I want! (Hard to tell between the different shades of brown.)

One of my major beefs is how leaky the caps seem to be, no matter HOW tight you screw 'em down!  I am constantly wiping the caps and bottles after i take dye out of them, and even then, the darn things seem to LEAK!

Just wondering what other people used to get dye out of the bottles. Pouring rarely works - you almost always get some spilliage. I managed to get a bunch of 1 ml. syringes from my vet, and they work great! The are good for multiple uses, too, if you clean them carefully. A box of 100 cost me $20. 

Oh, and I (almost) NEVER EVER EVER put a swab or brush directly into a bottle of dye. Leaving one open on your work surface is asking for trouble!! I always put it into a secondary (and MUCH smaller) container and use that as my source when dyeing something. 

I MIGHT risk it if it's a quick one-stroke touchup on on an edge or something, but that's it! Have heard too many stories of projects, clothing, etc,  totally ruined by bottles being knocked over!

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Yep, medical syringes for dye. I use pipettes for mixing dyes, too. 

Jeff

2 hours ago, sheathmaker said:

Well, if you do run out you can get WyoSheen from Sheridan leathers.  It's exactly the same as the old NeatLac.

I disagree. If you look on the shelf two bottles to the right from the neatlac you will see a bottle of Wyosheen. I love Wyosheen and it works great but it is a completely different product than Neatlac as far as end result of finish.

7 hours ago, Mark842 said:

I have 94 tins of Neat Lac rat holed...and no, none is for sale.

Not fair! 

I'm changing the title to

"Mark's 94 tins of Neat lac".   :lol: