2 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

"Mark's 94 tins of Neat lac

Deny, deny deny! What's NeatLac? If it makes anyone feel better it is not for sale because half has been sold to a friend locally. It's getting old so it is kind of hit and miss. I've opened up a few cans that weren't good anymore. I bought out a saddlery shop in Vernal Utah about 5 years ago and the guy had a pallet of cases of the stuff.

15 hours ago, Sheilajeanne said:

Oh, and I (almost) NEVER EVER EVER put a swab or brush directly into a bottle of dye. Leaving one open on your work surface is asking for trouble!! I always put it into a secondary (and MUCH smaller) container and use that as my source when dyeing something. 

Same here, I pour dye from the big bottle into a smaller one. I refer it to " not putting all my eggs in one basket" 

I can't get any of the ' Neat-Lac' variants anywhere in my state. There is some in the east, but it can't be shipped by air...DOH !!  

94 tins of Neat-lac ? Um...so....where do you live Mark  ? ;)

I might try and be brave one day and take a few pic's of my workshop. 

HS

Update: I pick up my new to me consew 206rb-1 tomorrow. Brand new table and servo included for $400+tax. What a sweet deal.

Just got one of the refillable pens not the Tandy ones but similar but you have to fill with dye, sells and thought hard to not spill dye anywhere

In the end used a drinking straw, dip end into the dye place finger over top hole of the straw, pull out and place over the ink tube and take finger off the top, do that a few times and all OK

6 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Update: I pick up my new to me consew 206rb-1 tomorrow. Brand new table and servo included for $400+tax. What a sweet deal.

That is a sweet deal. Your gonna love that machine. Very versatile work horse!

12 hours ago, Handstitched said:

Um...so....where do you live Mark  ? ;)

Hiding at 7700 foot above sea level in Utah...

13 minutes ago, Mark842 said:

That is a sweet deal. Your gonna love that machine. Very versatile work horse!

Hiding at 7700 foot above sea level in Utah...

I sure hope so. I haven't played with a machine yet, at all.

Hey, speaking of elevation, I got to spend some time in Evanston, Wyoming when I worked on wind turbines. Beautiful out that way.

18 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

I sure hope so. I haven't played with a machine yet, at all.

Hey, speaking of elevation, I got to spend some time in Evanston, Wyoming when I worked on wind turbines. Beautiful out that way.

You ever get out that way again yell at me and I'll come get you for a few beers. I'm about a 30 minute drive from Evanston

1 hour ago, Mark842 said:

You ever get out that way again yell at me and I'll come get you for a few beers. I'm about a 30 minute drive from Evanston

I don't work in that industry anymore. It sure was a fun job, though. Thanks.

@bikermutt07  Is that a wrapped sword above your head board shelf?

3 hours ago, DV8DUG said:

@bikermutt07  Is that a wrapped sword above your head board shelf?

Why yes, yes it is. It's a katana I got myself in Wyoming for my birthday. I'm not a hundred percent sure of the quality but it will slice thru a 1 inch sapling. Paid about 150 for it. It's no ancient artifact, but it's not a truck stop sword either. I also have a cold steel hybrid Cutlass and two Hawks tomahawk.

G'Day, 

Well , I finally took a brave step this arvo  and took some pics of my messy workshop, however, I did have a quick clean up before I took them. So here goes * deep breath* . This is my hobby room / workshop .  Each pic is pretty much self explanatory , but feel free to ask  what is what. 

All my hides are on shelves  under the benches, that I got cheap. 

Its carpeted on one side , painted floor on the other. All insulated. TV & stereo in the far corner , and heated with a kero heater . ( the white box on the floor ) . It look a mess, and it is, but I know where everything is....most of the time.   :)  When I win lotto, I'd love to expand, as space is at a prime. 

HS 

Workshop Pics 2018.gif

2 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, 

Well , I finally took a brave step this arvo  and took some pics of my messy workshop, however, I did have a quick clean up before I took them. So here goes * deep breath* . This is my hobby room / workshop .  Each pic is pretty much self explanatory , but feel free to ask  what is what. 

Its carpeted on one side , painted floor on the other. All insulated. TV & stereo in the far corner , and heated with a kero heater . ( the white box on the floor ) . It look a mess, and it is, but I know where everything is....most of the time.   :)  When I win lotto, I'd love to expand, as space is at a prime. 

HS 

Workshop Pics 2018.gif

Trust me..that is not messy. I might post some pic's this weekend if I can finally get a day to clean up 6-7 months worth of long production days. I have a pile of scrap leather cutoffs in the corner that has become so large I named it Fred. Fred is about 4 foot tall and 4 foot diameter....On a side note...in the coming months I will be selling a ton of black and brown oil tan in the 6 ounce range.

I should have taken a pic  a few weeks ago when I was knee high in horse rugs, I couldn't  move for rugs. Now that  was messy :) 

HS

16 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

I should have taken a pic  a few weeks ago when I was knee high in horse rugs, I couldn't  move for rugs. Now that  was messy :) 

HS

I hear ya. I use a maid service for the rest of my house but I don't dare let her in my work areas. Tried it one time for a week and I couldn't find a damn thing. Shop looks like someone airdropped a leather supply business on it where the actual work gets done but I know exactly where everything is. The areas I keep my hides in and supplies is actually fairly organized

Bikermutt07, looks like you are making a great leather working shop.  I enjoy seeing where others do leather work.   

Sheilajeanne,  here is my version of a  dye bottle stabilizer.  Something else to do with scrape leather, it is not guaranteed to work under all circumstances, but you are welcome to use it.    Obviously, you will still get dye all over the outside of the bottle. 

dye bottle stablizer.jpg

dye bottle stabilizer 2.jpg

dye bottle stablizer.jpg3.jpg

10 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day, 

HS 

Workshop Pics 2018.gif

That's quite a bit of stuff. Looks like you have enough sewing machines to get a military contract.

@Mark842 pencil me in for some pounds of that scrap when you get to it.

Consew came home today. It will still be a few weeks before I produce anything though.:unsure:

Plus it looks like the side jobs are about to ramp back up.....

5 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Consew came home today. It will still be a few weeks before I produce anything though.:unsure:

It will be this stuff....this is Fred, Fred is growing and taking over the area in between my clicker presses.  Mostly belly areas or areas that I didn't like the grain because of small imperfections. I have about ten more glad bags full in the basement. Keep saying I'm keeping it to use it for small items but its getting out of control.

scrap heap 001.JPG

1 hour ago, bikermutt07 said:

I must've just missed you, I was up there to get the bobbins for the Adler 67...turns out they're a bit smaller than we thought initially

IMG_20180828_160734356.jpg

Edited by koreric75

@Mark842 , really dig that brown.

@koreric75 , we were there between 6 and 6:30, got a little 138 you can loan for a bit?

8 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

@Mark842 , really dig that brown.

@koreric75 , we were there between 6 and 6:30, got a little 138 you can loan for a bit?

LOL, i have 92, and 207....I'll have to order the 138 or make a trip also going to be looking for a smaller motor pulley...i can almost get it slowed down enough with the control knob and still sew easy, but would be easier with a little more ratio

Edited by koreric75
forgot something...

G'day, 

10 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

That's quite a bit of stuff. Looks like you have enough sewing machines to get a military contract.

Thanks. Its taken 14 years to accumulate it ,well, thats how long I've been working with leather.  The machines are :  Seiko STW 28 B (  aka "Stewart")    , Juki clone (aka "Brutus" ) , Pfaff 60, and a Singer 29K53. I also have a Necchi  Supernova with all the bits  on a shelf,  but rarely used. 

The Consew 206 will be a good strong  reliable machine. 

10 hours ago, Mark842 said:

it will be this stuff....this is Fred, Fred is growing and taking over the area in between my clicker presses.  Mostly belly areas or areas that I didn't like the grain because of small imperfections. I have about ten more glad bags full in the basement. Keep saying I'm keeping it to use it for small items but its getting out of control.

Mark,  " Fred" is $$$$ to me. Theres so much I can do with " Fred" . I do have a press with knives , top left , 1st pic, (theres a fan sitting on it, amongst other junk  :) )  Its 3ph , but I have no 3 ph power....yet . 

I bought  it from a former leather worker for $500 aus. , .....he paid $7500 new . 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

@Mark842  Fred looks interesting.  Will be looking to see grey, burgundy, and other colors when you start your Fred reduction process.

59 minutes ago, Scoutmom103 said:

@Mark842  Fred looks interesting.  Will be looking to see grey, burgundy, and other colors when you start your Fred reduction process.

Unfortunately in this leather I only use black brown and tan.

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Mark,  " Fred" is $$$$ to me. Theres so much I can do with " Fred" . I do have a press with knives , top left , 1st pic, (theres a fan sitting on it, amongst other junk  :) )  Its 3ph , but I have no 3 ph power....yet . 

I bought  it from a former leather worker for $500 aus. , .....he paid $7500 new . 

Get that press going! If you have single phase 220V like you would run for your clothes dryer, get a Rotary Phase converter. Simple to install and use and quiet and reliable. I purchased one from American Rotary years ago and its been trouble free. It probably runs 2-6 hours a day 6 days a week. I think I paid about $500 for it new, probably more now as it was 10-12 years ago.

Slowly making progress....

E1DD57BC-B011-4668-9FA7-9681ED5AA7EB.jpegFCEC931B-B13D-47DD-931D-5D49F5615ACC.jpeg9C775AD4-666D-4CFF-B8FA-26BCB90FAF69.jpeg