samNZJP

Wallet Edges

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Check out don't gonzalez on YouTube, he uses glycerine soap and has a burnishing video.

That's supposed to say Don Gonzalez lol

22 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

That's supposed to say Don Gonzalez lol

Wait, you don't glue all the way? Don't you get leather pealing later on? Specifically the note section on wallets?

From watching his video im using way too much glycerine saddle soap and not enough water.

Just a little trial piece - not bad IMG_3891.thumb.jpg.d6bdf6cb7acde4b0ba7eb2c0a258570a.jpg

2 hours ago, samNZJP said:

Just a little trial piece - not bad IMG_3891.thumb.jpg.d6bdf6cb7acde4b0ba7eb2c0a258570a.jpg

That's getting real good Sam. Looks like the layers are distinct, neat and flat, which indicates to me that you're not pressing excessively hard when burnishing (which can squash and bend layers) and that you don't have any gaps or voids. When I use soap as part of the burnishing process I use a bar of glycerin soap -- Pears is a common brand over here -- as I find the paste stuff in a can easily overspills the edges a little. Not so much a problem on the predyed prefinished bridle I normally use but on tooling veg that can make a stain. Just rub the bar fairly vigorously down the edge once damped.

Something that I don't see mentioned very often is to avoid the temptation to overburnish. Once it's hard and shiny I keep thinking "just rub a bit longer and it'll get shinier". However after a certain point the edge will be dry and actually get less shiny as I rub further. The important thing here is to recognise when the leather has got to its peak shininess, stop, let it dry (possibly overnight), then work on it again with whatever that particular leather needs. If I'm really going to town on a piece perhaps rub it with fine sandpaper, wet the edge and burnish again. If it's already pretty good I might put a sealer like resolene on the edge, or maybe just rub in some beeswax and buff off the excess.

There ya go. Not bad at all. And Matt makes a good point too.

Thats indeed an awesome burnish.

I wished I could replica it.

On 8/30/2018 at 5:51 AM, krominix said:

I’m happy that more people came in to help talk to you though I’m certain it will lead to no where. Talking to you is practically useless. You don’t want to learn. Visiting your Etsy shop tells me all I need to know. I feel bad for anyone who may have taken any advice from you and your grossly false info presented as fact. I’m honestly not sure what someone like you can contribute to a board like this. The mods are pretty lenient here so I guess you are in luck. Have fun crafting wallets with 5oz thick leather and no glue. I can just imagine the beauts that they are. 

To the OP, sorry your thread turned into this mess of false info. Pick out the good comments and practice, practice, practice. Skill like zj does not come over night and there is true painstaking detail that goes into every step. Think about every step your are going to take and the step after that and the step after that. 

There is no need to be so rough when commenting to others posts.  It would be better to take a calmer approach to responses and steer clear of bashing others for their opinions.  These forums are for the purpose of learning and sharing and when that turns into sniping and other forms of unnecessary banter it begins to cross a line of professionalism.  Everyone is entitled to share their opinions, observations, and experience without having to feel like they are being attacked for it.  On the flip side, there is also no room for name calling, racial segregation, or anything else that goes against morals and discipline, especially in an international platform like this; that stuff does need to be checked at the door but responding with short responses only keeps it going and is not what we are here for.

These forums are for the open sharing of information with others around the world so if you can't do it professionally and politely you should consider another option at this point.  And this is for EVERYONE to understand.  Some of the comments posted here so far should have actually been moderated by now.

So, could someone explain (or speculate!) on how the edge of the card pockets were done on those wallets? I'd really like to know!

@Sheilajeanne, there are 3 ways that I know of to finish the edges. First would be binding, or folding over. My eyes can't really tell from the photos but I don't think this is the case. I don't see stitching on the pockets so unless it was glue only he used a different method. 

Second, if it's veg tan, it would/could be burnished and sealed. And I'm unfamiliar but possibly tokanole of gum trag was used.

Third, edge paint. This seems most likely to me (although only the creator really knows. As my eyes again, can't tell) a lot of sanding between coats. 

That's my speculation for ya. I think they were burnished, as the edges color seem to match. 

16 minutes ago, Sheilajeanne said:

So, could someone explain (or speculate!) on how the edge of the card pockets were done on those wallets? I'd really like to know!

See here my Screenshot again.

To me the sewn part (near the lower right Corner) is definatelly folded over to the other side.

The side parts (lower lef Corner) seemed to me burnished and then dyed over gain. Kind of sanded straight and then redyed or repainted (??!!?!).

The credit Card holders look to me suspiciously like my faux leather chair whose edges had an rubberish finish which peels off after 1 month of use. It must be some sort of chinese rubber finish only really known to them. Those rubber finishes look nice at the beginning but afterwards you know you got riped off.

Below 2 Pictures of my rubberised chair. One with Peeling off and the other still on. The arm pieces rubberized parts are gone Long ago already.20180901_160447mod1.thumb.jpg.daf38743a411e45a3142ddd135bbd8cc.jpg20180901_160542mod1.thumb.jpg.a472f8ed6c0e2ec35173315cab980093.jpg

Zwischenablage02.thumb.jpg.63f14f511efb5bc705ccb92efb3ac242.jpg

Just got word from ZJ, he has new stock of pricking irons. I inquired for 2.7mm but they will be in sometime November/December.

Swedish RWL34 steel, set of 2 and 12 prick irons for 255 US $.