I Have an older Consew 226 with reverse (name plate just says 226) that has been used, maybe well used. It sews fairly well as far as stitching goes but I can't seems to make it run quite straight as the needlebar rock frame moves on the stud. I also need to get this last bit of backfeed taken care of. I have gone through all of the upper end adjustments/eccentrics and this is as close as I can get. The feet and feed dog are worn and I will be replacing those soon, hopefully straightening out the stitch and relieving the rock. What do I try next? Adjusting feed dogs on the rockbar?

See attached.  STH- Owners page should help correct this feed dog and inside presser foot issue.

As for the vibrating rock frame, check the #23 pin, yours on your machine is going to be a cone shape.  Make sure this is is pushed in as far as it can go.  Index #28 below that will take up any side to side play, make sure we have at least an oil clearance here as we push this frame side to side as it goes front to back.  Just for reference, this image that differs from your machine has the #46 and slide #45 slide block that would help eliminate this issue.  often, after years of use, the inside presser bar frame and or presser bar shaft wear and then this play develops.  This usually occurs after many years of using a cording or welting foot that does not hit the feed dog flat.  In order to correct this, we would need a new needle bar frame, presser bar, or both.  

STH-8BLD-3 Owners_Pages.pdf

RockFrame.jpg

2 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

See attached.  STH- Owners page should help correct this feed dog and inside presser foot issue.

Thanks Greg. I have gone through that sequence many times. I'm afraid I need new feed dogs and feet first (see pics) then I can see where things should be meeting.

As for the vibrating rock frame, check the #23 pin, yours on your machine is going to be a cone shape.  Make sure this is is pushed in as far as it can go.  Index #28 below that will take up any side to side play, make sure we have at least an oil clearance here as we push this frame side to side as it goes front to back.  Just for reference, this image that differs from your machine has the #46 and slide #45 slide block that would help eliminate this issue.  often, after years of use, the inside presser bar frame and or presser bar shaft wear and then this play develops.  This usually occurs after many years of using a cording or welting foot that does not hit the feed dog flat.  In order to correct this, we would need a new needle bar frame, presser bar, or both. 

I was afraid that I would need new parts and checked on them local this am. The needlebar rock frame and pin don't look too bad to me though (see pics). Flat feet and new dog should make things sit much nicer. I'm sure you guys have seen plenty worse for wear parts. Right now if I retard the timing any more the needle passes through the material before the vibrating foot presses it down.

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

IMG_4741.jpg

Edited by Framsden
photo size