Davm

Buscadero Holster help

I was going to make a Mexican double loop holster BUT I glued two sides together to get a thick piece and it is so thick I am worried that I won't be able to pull the holster through the loops.  Last night I thought about modifying the project and do two loops that go around the holster body- like on a Buscadero rig.  I thought I could cut 2 vertical slots for the loop on the back flap and then sew the ends of the loops together.  I however have been looking at photos and it seems that there may be no slots and the loops are between the holster body and back flap.

I think I'd prefer the slots- if it is done that way- keeps the holster body next to the back flap. I could "loose stitch" the ends of the loop together to get it into position and then tighten it up.

I need advice on how this is usually done.  Thanks for any help.

You can wet the holster pouch and they usually will flex enough to get through the skirt loop(s).

If you want to convert it to a version with an attached pouch strap then there are no rules that say the strap cant be attached behind the skirt versus in between the skirt and pouch. I would suspect in between is more preferable to reduce points of wear on the back of the skirt.

However, of your strap come from behind the skirt you will need to trim the skirt contour to be very close to the pouch contour or it will get pulled around the pouch. There are strap down style where the skirt is hardly visible at all (especially Buscadaro and drop loop style rigs) and is really only there to feed through the belt drop loop and accept the strap.

Can you post some pictures?

Thanks for clarifying the terminology.  You can probably tell I'm a novice.  I don't know how to post photos but right now I'm just stitching the entire border and then I'll sew the pouch.  Then cut the loops or slots and tuck the pouch into the loops or use straps.  I was thinking about making a wood form and inserting it in the loops to stretch them out and then wet everything and try to pull the pouch through the loops.

As long as the loop is not to close to the top of pouch dampening the pouch is all you should need if that.

I would not stretch the loops. You want them.snug as they hold the holster down... to loose and the holster rides up when drawing.

For pictures just reduce the picture size to 100-200kb and drag and drop them to the area below the text window when creating a post.

Well, I've thought this out some.  This leather, it was pretty thick to start so what I now have (2 sides glued together) is like the sole on a shoe.  If I go with the Mexican double loop there will be 2 problems, one is getting the loop open enough to insert the pouch.  Even if I can do that the loops over the pouch will be really thick and not look correct.   So....I've decided on the sewn on loops- Buscadero style.  The idea of cutting vertical slots and having the loop on back on the skirt was because I thought the loop between pouch and skirt would hold the pouch away from the skirt but in thinking this out, if the loop is sewn far enough- side to side (to the skirt) the skirt then folds a little around the pouch so it looks tight together.  I'll still have a really thick pouch to pull through the loops but I'm thinking it will work.  The reason I was thinking of the vertical cuts in the skirt and bringing the loops (straps) through the skirt and attaching on back was I could sew the loops easy after they were around the pouch and not worry about pushing the pouch through sewn on loops.

This is going to be a "using" holster.  On the finish I was thinking of a 50/50 mix of neatsfoot oil and carnauba wax.  I've used that on knife sheaths and it darkens the leather a little- to a light russet color.  If I could burnish the edge black, that would look great but I've tried dying a burnished edge and found it hard to do and to keep the line of dye straight.

Once again, any suggestions very much appreciated.

Have a look at this production model and how they did it. good front and back angles.

my bet is the leg thing also goes through the bottom/back of the pouch to further hold the it down when drawing.

PT-3K-GS-Combo2.jpg

Edited by plinkercases

I saw one set up with snaps on the straps, the snaps on the back.  I sort of like that because if the strap ends up being too long or short- just make another, not too much work.

Dont cut the straps until yoi wrap then around the pouch with the pistol in it.

But yes some time they ateaps sanp to the flap it make it easier to feed through the drop loop.

Yup.  I agree with plink. If you're worried about the holster not fitting through the loops just make a loop that attaches to the skirt. It'll look and function almost the same. And is easier. I like Chicago screws too for holding them down. That way you aren't wasting snaps if you get the strap wrong or want to change it later.

Good Info and advice plinkercases!