Dun

So Cal leather splitter/skiver?

Anyone have access or services?

My uncle gave me 2 hides of armor thick leather that I have no idea what to do with at their current weight. Are there any options reasonably nearby for thinning them into usable sections?
Thanks,

Mike

Heritage leather has band knife splitting services available. They charge $50/hr. Expensive if you’re only going a few things but worth it if you need them to be prestinely split. My advice would be to bring a whole bunch of stuff to use that hour up! I have my belt blanks split there sometimes.

Edited by howlback

Yes. Contact Cobra Steve, or his assistant, at Leather Machine Company, in Highland, Cal. They sell a 14 inch wide leather splitter. They may allow you to split your leather on a demo machine. Otherwise, you will need to find somebody who owns a motorized leather splitter. Note that the leather would need to be cut into strips that fit inside the frame and cutting width of the blade.

If you need a wider area cut down, it will need to be shipped to a tannery. They often have 4 foot and wider blade splitters. There is a tannery in Springfield Mo. another in Louisville, Ky, and lastly, one in Curwinsville, PA. The only one I deal with is Thoroughbread Leather in Louisville.

18 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

Yes. Contact Cobra Steve, or his assistant, at Leather Machine Company, in Highland, Cal. They sell a 14 inch wide leather splitter. They may allow you to split your leather on a demo machine. Otherwise, you will need to find somebody who owns a motorized leather splitter. Note that the leather would need to be cut into strips that fit inside the frame and cutting width of the blade.

If you need a wider area cut down, it will need to be shipped to a tannery. They often have 4 foot and wider blade splitters. There is a tannery in Springfield Mo. another in Louisville, Ky, and lastly, one in Curwinsville, PA. The only one I deal with is Thoroughbread Leather in Louisville.

Thanks, I'll ask about the demo machine. Too soon for me to buy a machine since I don't plan on being able to afford bulk leather purchases, especially in weights I don't already have a use planned out for. 

You can also try to trade the sole bends, if that's what they are, for some leather that is to your liking. Somebody will have something you want in trade for the armor leather. Just post in a different section of the forum because all posts and replies in the section require a moderator's approval to appear in public view.

14 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

You can also try to trade the sole bends, if that's what they are, for some leather that is to your liking. Somebody will have something you want in trade for the armor leather. Just post in a different section of the forum because all posts and replies in the section require a moderator's approval to appear in public view.

Yeah I might have to try a trade. I just looked and Leather Machine Co isn't listed in Highland, but in my own town of Ontario??? 

59 minutes ago, howlback said:

Heritage leather has band knife splitting services available. They charge $50/hr. Expensive if you’re only going a few things but worth it if you need them to be prestinely split. My advice would be to bring a whole bunch of stuff to use that hour up! I have my belt blanks split there sometimes.

This will be my next thing to investigate if Leather Machine Co doesn't work out. Any idea what square inches/feet pieces can be split there?

2 minutes ago, Dun said:

Yeah I might have to try a trade. I just looked and Leather Machine Co isn't listed in Highland, but in my own town of Ontario??? 

This will be my next thing to investigate if Leather Machine Co doesn't work out. Any idea what square inches/feet pieces can be split there?

I forgot that they moved.

3 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I forgot that they moved.

They are so close I'm half afraid I may ask for a job

They have two Camoga. Don’t quote me on this but I think it’s 14”-16” wide max.

Take it out to Steve at Leather Machine Co. They sell a machine with a 14 inch width, usually effective to 12 inches. Usually a tanner is the only one that will have a machine big enough to do a whole hide.

Where are you in So Cal, I might be interested in buying hat you have and you can buy what you need or want?

I'm in San Diego

Fredo

1 hour ago, Albob said:

Where are you in So Cal, I might be interested in buying hat you have and you can buy what you need or want?

I'm in San Diego

Fredo

Ontario, which forms a triangle with LA and orange county? Going to disneyland any time soon?

13 hours ago, Dun said:

Ontario, which forms a triangle with LA and orange county? Going to disneyland any time soon?

No but I go to Whittier all the time, I'm from the LA area and have family in Whittier. Do you have a pic of what you have and maybe a pic. Feel free to PM me.

4 hours ago, Albob said:

No but I go to Whittier all the time, I'm from the LA area and have family in Whittier. Do you have a pic of what you have and maybe a pic. Feel free to PM me.

20180708_143550.jpg

That's a nice piece, do you have a price in mind? I don't know why I need to have these posts approved by an admin before you see them.

Feel free to PM me and I'll send you my number?

13 minutes ago, Albob said:

I don't know why I need to have these posts approved by an admin before you see them.

This particular forum has a lot of non-member guests posting requests for help. Because they are not members we have to approve all posts and replies made in this section of LWN. Unfortunately, this inconveniences actual members who choose to post in Help Wanted.

All moderators are volunteers approving posts when we actually see a notification. Some of us have day jobs and may not see a request for approval for several hours.

I strongly recommend taking all discussions out of here - to the appropriate sub-forum. This means that guests will need to join Leatherworker.net in order to post and reply in those sub-forums.

2 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

This particular forum has a lot of non-member guests posting requests for help. Because they are not members we have to approve all posts and replies made in this section of LWN. Unfortunately, this inconveniences actual members who choose to post in Help Wanted.

All moderators are volunteers approving posts when we actually see a notification. Some of us have day jobs and may not see a request for approval for several hours.

I strongly recommend taking all discussions out of here - to the appropriate sub-forum. This means that guests will need to join Leatherworker.net in order to post and reply in those sub-forums.

I'm logged in and it says my post will need to be approved by a mod as well... 

1 minute ago, koreric75 said:

I'm logged in and it says my post will need to be approved by a mod as well... 

As I explained, all posts made by both members and guests need approval in the Help Wanted forum. It was not my choice.

Thanks for explaining all that Wizcrafts!

Since there is interest I'll move this to pm's and get better pictures, as well try a sub forum for whatever thick stuff I have left after splitting.

4 minutes ago, Dun said:

Thanks for explaining all that Wizcrafts!

Since there is interest I'll move this to pm's and get better pictures, as well try a sub forum for whatever thick stuff I have left after splitting.

I have sent a message to the Admin about this.

Thanks for the explanation Wiz. I'm ok with forum rules and guide lines. I've been on enough forums that went south real fast due to a lack. A small inconvenience isn't too bad a of a deal to maintain this forum functional.

2 hours ago, Albob said:

Thanks for the explanation Wiz. I'm ok with forum rules and guide lines. I've been on enough forums that went south real fast due to a lack. A small inconvenience isn't too bad a of a deal to maintain this forum functional.

Anybody who is a member and viewing this. Please try to post a reply in this topic now and let me know if it appears without approval from me. You may have to exit this sub-forum then come back to the topic.

Posting, thanks for all you do, web and otherwise

25 minutes ago, koreric75 said:

Posting, thanks for all you do, web and otherwise

Shall I assume the posting approval for members problem has been resolved?