Sign in to follow this  
Clintock

Double mag holster/pouch

Had a request to make a double mag holster. Fair enuff. No big deal. BUT.. they are 31 round mags. Question is, which way should I approach this? The guy ain’t picky and said whatever I come up with will work. So I have a few options. These mags are over 8” long. 

How's he going to carry them, off a belt, MOLE compatible, slung over his shoulder?

I would try a over loop with snaps. It will be easier for him to put on after he gets out of the truck, Easy on easy off for hanging out at camp too. If his mags are poly then no real issue, if old school metal mags you might want to make sure they are well oiled and put a way for them to drain metal or poly. Post up pics when you get them done.

Fredo SAn Diego CA

31?@!  And he carryin' TWO (and I assume 1 in the grip)?@!  Who he goin' to war with?  Bunny prollems down there? 

Maybe he just need a couple magnets sewed into a new belt?  8" long, maybe he need a THIGH STRAP?

Oh BTW -- sent you a small box this mornin'... jus case its too hot ta fish...

Edited by JLSleather

You could look at the old GI Thompson SMG mag pouches for inspiration. If it were me, I'd probably do a drop-leg style that straps to the thigh rather than a high ride belt mount.

Thanks for the opinions. Maybe a pouch that the belt can go through. Or for those suckers that long maybe a welding rod pouch with a clip. :unsure:

@JLSleather he’s prolly just making sure he got nuff ammo for these skeeters! I’ll keep my eye on the mail. Thanks a million! Haven’t sent your box yet. Maybe next week. 

@byggyns they are smg mags. I’ll check into their apparatus. 

Thanks again folks. 

In the good old days I used to be a reasonable shot with a Lee Enfield no4 with 10 rounds and one up the spout as time went by they got rid of the and got newer weapons all with bigger mags and semi auto or auto even the good old Bren gun was replaced with the GPMG lots more ammo but designed to be less accurate and have a bigger field of fire

So my question is did the older guns have a better kill rate than the newer ones, seems every one wanted close range shooting rather than extended range

Myself I would prefer a few good shots rather than blanket fire

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

In the good old days I used to be a reasonable shot with a Lee Enfield no4 with 10 rounds and one up the spout as time went by they got rid of the and got newer weapons all with bigger mags and semi auto or auto even the good old Bren gun was replaced with the GPMG lots more ammo but designed to be less accurate and have a bigger field of fire

So my question is did the older guns have a better kill rate than the newer ones, seems every one wanted close range shooting rather than extended range

Myself I would prefer a few good shots rather than blanket fire

The army goes back and forth on this every decade or so. Until recently there was a minimi light MG in every section, one Sharpshooter (7.62) rifle and the rest with rifles (5.56). GPMG (7.62) available at platoon level when required. However this year the minimi has been withdrawn -- current thinking (feedback from Afghan) is that a a moderate quantity of aimed semi-automatic fire is more effective than hundreds of rounds in the enemy's general direction. The problem specifically with the minimi was that the MoD bought them in a hurry and in their infinite wisdom bought the short barreled version which is effective to maybe 300 yards... For a war in mountainous territory where a goatherd with a Lee Enfield or Mosin Nagant can harass a chokepoint at 1200 yards. Sure makes a lot of noise though.

The L86 (longer SA80, used to be one in every fireteam for suppressive bursts) was withdrawn about 10 years ago as being worthless. It's being reworked with a heavier barrel and decent optics as a marksman's rifle, splitting the difference between the Individual Weapon and the Sharpshooter rifle.

As to the .303 No4, they still work. Certainly mine does even at 74 years old ;-)

@AlbobWell this is what I came up with. Two loops on back for belt to go through. A hole in each mag slot for draining water if he’s fighting rabbits in the rain. Still not finished. Thinking of redoing it and tapering it at the end so it’s not flared out. And thinnning the straps that retain the mags. If I do keep this one I’m gonna round the ends of the straps. Tell me what ya think. 

4CF7F338-1B9B-479F-9D16-910A2375A79D.jpeg

That looks real nice, I don't know why I was thinking AR mags. I'm sure he'll be happy.

Hi,how did you mould the double pouch?i want a triple mag pouch but have only moulded single pouches,i would love to know how you achieved yours.nice work by the way.

Since they’re so long, I didn’t mold and form a real tight fit. I wanted him to be able to pull the mags when needed. But it’s basically the same as molding a single. Just more to mold. And thanks for the compliment!

One thing that "might" stop that flare is to make the top wider.  Don't make it square.  Not drastic by any means but about as much as the bottom looks like it flared.  Because the bottom does not flare, the top gets pulled in when you shove the mags in the pocket.  When I do mag holders I flare the stitch line at the top to give them a little more room so they don't change the shape of the mag holder as much.  That said, looks good and I wouldn't think twice about sending it.  

Thanks chief. It can be done that way. Also could taper the last couple of inches at bottom of pouch to eleminate it. Or to make it form better. If I flare at top I would lose some retention. Which is NOT a bad thing since these mags were 8” long. They’re not tight but they will not slide out on their own. On shorter mags, a tapered stitch line the whole way would be ideal. Appreciate the feedback!

19 minutes ago, Clintock said:

taper the last couple of inches at bottom of pouch to eleminate it

Yup, this here ↑

Snug up the bottom, and it will not only cosmetically line up, but will put the majority of the friction (pronounced ree- ten - shun) in the BOTTOM of the rig, so the guy doesn't have to PULL the entire length - just break it loose and yer good ;)

Common for most Glocks, Smith's shield, many others...