Sign in to follow this  
Horsewhishper

How to become a master leather Smith

Hey fellas and lady's, I have been in this craft for three year's, my work is fairly good in my opinion but I desire to achieve mastery I know it takes time, and is a lifelong process but was curious if there is any tips you can give me to better my advancement in this craft and avoid platues and mistakes before I make them. Any comments and tips are welcome not just for me, but others seeking the same knowledge. 

Thank you for your time and sharing of knowledge and the passion for this craft. 

I am not a master, I am not even good at leatherwork, but I would suggest to become a master at anything, its practice, practice and more practice, interspersed with a lot of reading and some tuition, then practice a lot, and did I mention practice?

It's such a wide subject Leather work that you cannot be a master of it, but you can be a master at a bit of the work. a person who is great at tooling may be very poor at making a saddle and so on. but as stated above three years is probably half a traditional apprenticeship in many leather work area's and that's gained by working alongside a master of the trade teaching you,, so keep practicing for another 15-20 years and become the master tradesman / woman