MarkCdub

Clamping edges while gluing up?

What do y'all use for clamping while glue is drying?  I had to use my stitching pony and steal some chip clips from the pantry to keep my wallet edges together.  I only had 2 chip clips and the bottom ended up popping loose.  

4 minutes ago, MarkCdub said:

What do y'all use for clamping while glue is drying?  I had to use my stitching pony and steal some chip clips from the pantry to keep my wallet edges together.  I only had 2 chip clips and the bottom ended up popping loose.  

I use binder clips and popsicle sticks to spread the pressure so that it doesn't mark the leather. Also reduces the number of clips you need.

Chip clips....lol! Just bought two of them plus two carpenter's clips at an estate sale on the weekend! Got all 4 for 50 cents! :lol:  Yes, popsicle sticks come in very handy too!

Binder clips like you might use in an office to keep papers together. You can buy them by the jarful pretty cheap. If the jaws look like they're going to leave a mark on the leather I use a little scrap of leather to cushion the work. I've also used wooden clothes pegs (the type with the spring, not the one that's just a dowel with a slot cut down it) but I foudn they are very bulky for the amount of clamping force they give.

Of course, contact cement (of various types, including water-based) usually eliminates the need for clamping.

7 hours ago, niakulah said:

I use binder clips and popsicle sticks to spread the pressure so that it doesn't mark the leather. Also reduces the number of clips you need.

I like the popsicle stick idea. Cheers

On 8/31/2018 at 12:52 AM, niakulah said:

I just bought 36 clips at the local Walmart a few weeks ago. They come in a box of 12 for like a $1.37 if I remember correctly. 

Thank  you @niakulah for the idea of popsicle sticks. I have been making my own clamp strips by splitting down scraps from the wood shop. Purchasing sticks is much quicker and easier.  

Yup, binder clips of varying sizes. Clothes pins are good and cheap too. Of you need more, squeeze clamps come in several sizes. There a multi pack Walmart has. They apply a good deal of pressure. 

I like the poscicle stick idea. I always used scrap leather but sticks would be more effective.

I dug out my clamping things.. I made a clamp/jig for holster main seems which work with most profiles, and there is the special vice grips with the wide flat jaws (some from of welders clap perhaps) with leather lining and then the collection of wooding pieces of various length and these very handy mini vice grips. Just some of the things I have had to come up with.

PHOTO_20180915_163446 (Small).jpg