JJN

Filson Factory Auction Dozens of 211W151 Starting at $20

I stumbled upon this auction of the Filson production facility in Post Falls, Idaho. Looks like dozens and dozens of Singer, Consew, Juki, Pegasus machines plus rolls of fabric, hook & loop, layout and cutting tables and spare machine parts. Lots are starting at $5 - $20. Ten days until auction closes. I wish I had more money and space right now.

https://cyberauctions.com/ViewCurrentAuction.php?cid=0&aid=803&srid=49

@JJN Thanks for the info, just placed my bid for a few, hope I get at least one.

Karina

Did I read this right, you have to pick it up?  Bit of a drive for me, sadly.  

YinTx

Lots of interesting machinery in that auction. 

Unless you can pick up items in person within two days of the auction closing, it's best to figure out shipping options before placing a bid. Post Falls, Idaho is REALLY far away from places like Atlanta, Georgia.  I wouldn't count on the auctioneer to be of much help with arranging shipping.

Yes, inspection on the 10th, online bidding closes on the 11th and pick-up on the 12th and 13th. I am a 9 hour drive away.

Edited by JJN

Another US textile factory bites the dust. This is so sad. US made textiles used to be the best quality you could find.

If you want to help save the remaining Filson factories, shop here: https://www.filson.com/

I bought a Filson jacket 14 years ago. I've worn it a lot and it gets better the more I use it. I suppose it will outlast me. It might of been made at this facility.

1 hour ago, Uwe said:

Lots of interesting machinery in that auction. 

Unless you can pick up items in person within two days of the auction closing, it's best to figure out shipping options before placing a bid. Post Falls, Idaho is REALLY far away from places like Atlanta, Georgia.  I wouldn't count on the auctioneer to be of much help with arranging shipping.

I read all the terms before bidding, and having to pick it up is not an issue at all for me. I bid on factory/business closeouts all over the country regularly. I am registered on at least 20 different auctions sites,  so I know how this works. Of the three I am bidding on, I just hope I can at least win one, but I would surely take all three.:)

Karina

Edited by veedub3

The only draw back I see is that all sewing machines  are 3 phase.  If youi have 3 phase, non problem but if you don't, it could be a big prob;em

Not really a problem, if you get one at a good price then replacing the motor with a servo still means you've got a (better) machine at a good price.

I know I created my own competition by posting this on here, but there are plenty of items for everyone and I feel it is good to share this with the LW community. It would be cool to meet some of the west coast members picking up their stuff up there.

5 minutes ago, JJN said:

I know I created my own competition by posting this on here, but there are plenty of items for everyone and I feel it is good to share this with the LW community. It would be cool to meet some of the west coast members picking up their stuff up there.

Those of us that are bidding can work together on some of them as there are many of the same item. I only see one machine so far that I must try and win that I'll go big on....The rest I'm looking at only if I can get a smoking good deal. I'm thinking that with the amount of machines and weight involved..pretty much restricts to those that can pick it up themselves so hopefully there will be a lot of machines going in the $50 range.

@Mark842 I agree. I really have all the machines I need.... but.... if there an old singer walking foot going for under $100, which one of us could walk away from it. I might consider getting a double needle machine. There are some huge fabric rolls there that could be split up between a couple of us. Maybe someone could act as an agent to organize shipping or just pick up something for someone else if they are closer. It will be interesting to watch. Good luck on your bidding.

1 minute ago, JJN said:

@Mark842 I agree. I really have all the machines I need.... but.... if there an old singer walking foot going for under $100, which one of us could walk away from it. I might consider getting a double needle machine. There are some huge fabric rolls there that could be split up between a couple of us. Maybe someone could act as an agent to organize shipping or just pick up something for someone else if they are closer. It will be interesting to watch. Good luck on your bidding.

I wouldn't mind picking up one of those bar tackers real cheap. Got a few products that would be a lot easier to manufacture with them. I already have a good old double needle Singer that covers my double needle needs...but like you said...if the price is right...

That big 7-31 has my attention, but that would be two really long days driving to get it.   I’m not super familiar with that part of Idaho/western Washington, but there are enough 7 collectors in that neck of the woods to keep the price up.

48 minutes ago, JJN said:

It’s a nice resource when there is a chance to share something like this - thanks for thinking of the rest of us.

There are some huge fabric rolls there that could be split up between a couple of us. Maybe someone could act as an agent to organize shipping or just pick up something for someone else if they are closer. It will be interesting to watch. Good luck on your bidding.

That would be nice, especially for those that live far away, some of the lots for things like the thread, etc. look pretty big for a single user.

Thanks for posting this BUT it's a shame it's so far away.If I were to bid on anything I'd have to leave before I knew if I got the bid since it would take me 3-days to get there! In my big truck I can only drive 11 hrs a day & it's a 3-day trip 1,900 mi one way @ 10mpg x$3.00 a gallon =$1,200 in fuel alone!then motels & eats another $700.00.I'm sure someone closer will get some good deals.

Edited by CowboyBob

I'm sure Filson products are great but looking at their web site they are definitely not in my price range.  $75 for the cheapest pair of shorts and long pants starting in the low $100 range up to $245 sorry but that is a lot more than I will pay. 

23 minutes ago, Ed in Tx said:

I'm sure Filson products are great but looking at their web site they are definitely not in my price range.  $75 for the cheapest pair of shorts and long pants starting in the low $100 range up to $245 sorry but that is a lot more than I will pay. 

I have two Filson cruiser jackets, a single mackinaw and a tin cloth. The mack is just as good as when I bought it nearly 10 years ago. The tin cruiser is certainly showing its age but what it's put up with would ruin about a dozen "working" jackets and still keeps the rain off me and the stuff in my pockets in my pockets. When I bought them Filson wasn't available in the UK and I had to import. I had no problem paying the price, the shipping or the import taxes. Quality saves money in the long run.

Today Filson is a lifestyle brand, with most of the garments made outside of the US. Unfortunately this foreign construction hasn't reduced retail prices, which have kept creeping up. Filson cooperates with designers from other firms for "limited edition" runs. It's a far cry from the 100-odd 100-year-old patterns they used to keep making, year in year out, for a fair price. Lumbersexuals rather than lumberjacks. Carharrt is now headed down this route.

It's probably just as well that it's nowhere near me!! Lots of interesting stuff there. Of course, I've got nowhere to put a shelf full of thread, but........

For those bidding be aware of that "Dynamic Bidding" clause.  It means that the auction for every single item up for bid continues until the last bid on the last active item is in.  I bid in one of their auctions not too long ago on a couple old chainsaws.  I was the only bidder until after the posted closing time then I was bid up by people who had shown no previous interest in the items. The auction drug on for about 6 hours after the posted closing time.  It was small money on a small item but was still a frustrating thing.  Good for sellers and auction houses, not as great for bidders.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:38 PM, Uwe said:

If you want to help save the remaining Filson factories, shop here: https://www.filson.com/

Thanks, but I make my own.

I spent a few hours at the factory today.  Problem I see is most of the sale "lots" of fabric are pretty huge rolls.  Thread "lots" are large enough to sew yourself around the world a few times and back.  In terms of the machines, none are plugged in, so you can check a few things but you won't know for sure until you get it home.  The few machines I was really interested in seem to have run up in auction prices quickly and at those prices I would rather buyer from a local dealer/mechanic and at least have someone I can call when I can't get it to run like it should.  PS  Rumor is that Filson removed most of their good stuff about a year ago and moved it to another facility.  The items up for auction seem to be leftovers, part out machines, stuff that didn't make sense to haul to their other locations.

Edited by Firestar1485