seabee

Traveling leatherworker tools

Hi all,  

I'am going to do some RV traveling again, but this time I want to do some leather projects like holster, belts, etc.  You can only do so much sightseeing and fishing.  I have been trying put together a small toolbox  So, what hand tools would.you want to carry, 

All my tooling stamps are in a their own toolbox, also, I built a portable stitching pony.

Any suggests would help. 

Thanks, Howard

Tow a small trailer behind the RV with a small leather workshop inside, why think small :lol:

:lol: 

Seriously, so much depends on what you are planning to make, and how you usually go about it!

You'll obviously need cutting things like knives for cutting out blanks, scissors, cutting board, poundo board, quartz slab if you're going to do tooling. Don't forget ruler, dividers, etc - whatever tools you use to make lines to guide your cutting.

Needles, thread, your favourite punches for making holes, buckles, oblong punch for buckle hole, and stamps. I have thought of making myself a tool roll for stamps for when I travel. It would have a separate compartment for each of the major stamp types: backgrounders, camouflage, pear shaders, seeders, veiners and figure stamps. For now, I just sort them into ziplock bags, and label the bag with the type of tool. When I first started leatherworking, I remember seeing a sheet that showed us all the fancy things we could do with just SIX stamps! So, look yours stamps over carefully, and winnow out the ones you use most often!

As for finishes - dyes, alcohol, top coats, etc, I'd get a small tote with a locking top that I'd fill as full as possible to keep things from tipping over, and maybe even stuff newspaper between the bottles to further prevent spilling. Throw in some swabs or brushes for applying them, plus containers for mixing, and a sponge or two for wetting the leather for tooling, and that should be pretty much it! Oh,  wait - sandpaper for smoothing edges. Forgot about that!

Might be a good idea to cut out some blanks for belts and holsters before leaving home?

Edited by Sheilajeanne

Chrisash,  I could tow a trailer, because my shop is a 20' TT converted for leatherwork, but I would have to leave the car at home.

Sheillajeanne,  You have given me some great ideas, cutting belt blanks, holster, etc. I didn't think about.

Thank you for responding,

Howard 

I would start by looking at finished piece of the type work you intend to do. Then work back through the process. Use the piece to look at the list of tools you used. Your packing list should be pretty much complete at that point. 

I was taught this process at work. When redoing a work station we use the process to develop the need and placement for piece parts, as well as tools needed at hand.  

Hope this helps and enjoy your travels. 

Hey Seabee!

I'd recommend that you look at what Tandy offers in the "beginners' Tool set as a basis.  Then expand to take in what you want to accomplish.  I like Sheilajeanne's recommendation, but would add stone of whatever you prefer and a strop board.  ESSENTIAL!!! as you no doubt know.  Don't know what you normally use to cut against, but you can go to a kitchen shop and have them cut you a board to a size of your choosing to use as a cutting board.  It's the same stuff used in commercial kitchens .  My cutting table is topped with the stuff.  ,

I could make a few suggestions but I'm sure that sort of thing will be covered by other forum members; and if you're keen enough to do leatherwork while you're travelling you should already have a pretty good idea yourself

but I suggest that you include a decent notebook and a couple of pens & pencils. You are bound to get ideas as you travel along; make contacts; get orders & requests; or even to note down the things you've forgotten. Having it all together will be better than odd bits of paper stuffed into pockets or the glove compartment

You can glue the pounds board on the back of the quartz, it saves a little space, and it’s right there whichever you need.

Your wife can drive the car, you drive the RV. :)

Edited by ScoobyNewbie