RockyAussie

Sewing machine thread looper for thread stand

I hate reaching over and trying to poke the thread through the tiny 2mm hole in my cowboy machine thread stand so here is what I came up with. Don't know what you would call it so let me know if you do.

The first pic shows the finished tool. Note that this is printed with PLA+ which is supposed to be 10 times stronger than PLA. (3D Fillies)

DSC03865_resize.JPG

Next position the tool in the thread hole

DSC03846_resize.JPG

Grab your thread

DSC03859_resize.JPG

Poke it in the tool slot

DSC03860_resize.JPG

Now pull the tool back out of the hole

DSC03862_resize.JPG

DSC03849_resize.JPG

For those that would like to print it I had one leg not print out the first time. Although it looks to be there in Curra it did not show up in the G code. I should have checked the layers veiw as it shows up there. I found I had to rotate it on the plate a couple of times to get a direction to where it all showed up in the layers. I double checked the G file and Bingo it worked. Here is the stl file - Thread stand loop toolS.stl

Forgot to add I have embedded Made in Australia into the base if that's a big deal.;)

That's it for now

Brian

I mentioned above the pla filament being PLA+ from 3D Fillies being 10 times stronger than regular pla. Here is a link https://3dfillies.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzqPcBRAnEiwAzKRgSxhTk4htbykpLdkqAzxdBW0AE2JEs7o3NqimPslmJhQV0Qmm-uoqCRoCKX0QAvD_BwE 

They appear to have a broad range of other useful filaments as well like pla with steel for your average printer as well.

Brian I bet you would 3D print your supper if you could .... nice tool for sure.

That is a little beauty! How much to post one to 6168 WA?

3 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Brian I bet you would 3D print your supper if you could .... nice tool for sure.

I don't know about that I got a pretty good missus but I have heard they are printing food stuff these days and houses as wel, Interesting. I think you are about to be a 4 star member.....

I keep thinking of things i would print but that tool/toy will have to wait a few years i think.

What is a 4 star member mean? Number of posts?

1 hour ago, Rockoboy said:

That is a little beauty! How much to post one to 6168 WA?

How about if I post you a few with some zip guides etc and you pass some on to others over your side? 500 gram express is about $11.00. Way more than the product value. I cover this time if you want to pm me an address. ;)

3 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

I keep thinking of things i would print but that tool/toy will have to wait a few years i think.

What is a 4 star member mean? Number of posts?

Yeaah look to the left now....1000 posts and 4 dots above:P

Well this is exciting and I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight!! Time to try anyhow. 1130 here in Ontario.

Just made one (using "ordinary" PLA) and it works ok. I tried one of those needle-threading thingies that Constabulary mentioned in the other thread but it didn't work 'cos it's too short. I've got some PLA+ coming and I'll make another when it gets here. I'm going to try and modify it, Brian , as I reckon a hole in the end for some string to make a hanging loop or a loop molded into the end might be a good idea, then I can hang it on the thread stand (and not lose it!).

3 hours ago, dikman said:

Just made one (using "ordinary" PLA) and it works ok. I tried one of those needle-threading thingies that Constabulary mentioned in the other thread but it didn't work 'cos it's too short. I've got some PLA+ coming and I'll make another when it gets here. I'm going to try and modify it, Brian , as I reckon a hole in the end for some string to make a hanging loop or a loop molded into the end might be a good idea, then I can hang it on the thread stand (and not lose it!).

Yea I thought about that as well but there is a hole in my stand on the top that is a good resting space for it and I just hope I can remember where that is when I want. Funny how things can be right there in front of you and you cant see it at times. I was looking for my glasses the other day and couldn't find them until I took them off to see that would help me see any better...........:wub:

I worked with a guy who one day was wandering around the office looking for his glasses - they were perched on his head!! I've attached a loop to the end and hopefully my PLA+ will arrive today.

My filament arrived lunchtime (3 days later than the Aust.Post tracking said). I ordered Grey PLA+, so what do I get - Cyan ABS! :rolleyes2:  I'm curious to see how they handle this as the return postage will probably be at least half the (retail) value of the filament.

In the meantime, this is what I've come up with.

edit: just heard from them and it seems their system was causing problems last week so they'll send me the PLA+ and I get to keep the ABS. Might as well make one of these loopers out of ABS and see how it works I suppose.

Thread loop tool 1.jpg

Edited by dikman

5 hours ago, dikman said:

My filament arrived lunchtime (3 days later than the Aust.Post tracking said). I ordered Grey PLA+, so what do I get - Cyan ABS! :rolleyes2:  I'm curious to see how they handle this as the return postage will probably be at least half the (retail) value of the filament.

In the meantime, this is what I've come up with.

edit: just heard from them and it seems their system was causing problems last week so they'll send me the PLA+ and I get to keep the ABS. Might as well make one of these loopers out of ABS and see how it works I suppose.

Thread loop tool 1.jpg

Looks pretty good there @dikman I am thinking about doing it now. If that filament is from the same mob I mentioned I had a bad roll awhile back and I sent them my fail pictures and they were quite happy to send me some new stuff which worked good. I did not have to return the other crap. I think it should work out fine but let me know.

I had no idea how it would turn out as I didn't really know what I was doing with the 3D programme!:lol: Took me over half an hour just to add that little ring!

I made one using the ABS and other than the colour it doesn't look any different to PLA. Using ABS is a bit of a pain as I have to increase the nozzle temp and run the bed at 100*C - it takes ages to reach operating temp.

21 minutes ago, dikman said:

I had no idea how it would turn out as I didn't really know what I was doing with the 3D programme!:lol: Took me over half an hour just to add that little ring!

I made one using the ABS and other than the colour it doesn't look any different to PLA. Using ABS is a bit of a pain as I have to increase the nozzle temp and run the bed at 100*C - it takes ages to reach operating temp.

I have only used ABS a couple of times and decided I would master the PLA first instead. For me PLA is much easier but I would like to have the higher heat resistance at times though. I hope to try some of the nylon stuff soon to see how that goes. And the flexable filament types and the ......I need more hours in my days.:P  I wonder if a heat gun would make the warm up faster...........