Sambishop16

Singer 7-34 skipping a stitch?

Any ideas on how to fix this issue on a singer 7-34? We just replaced the needle and adjusted the tension but it seems like maybe something is going on with the bobbin? Thanks in advance! 

873AB0CD-B7BB-4321-995D-EEF6D58794E1.jpeg

Edited by Sambishop16

That looks like a REALLY short stitch length for that size thread and a corresponding leather point needle....is it possible the "skipping" is actually the thread occasionally pulling up through the leather and "bridging" the previous stitch? A couple of millimeter's hesitance in the material feed would allow the needle to cut right thru the super short area between the piercings, particularly with a powerful machine, though I don't see a knot formed...... It may work on one lot of material, but not others. Just a thought. The other badly shaped stitch may be the knot acting funny if its is partially pulled up? Loads of variables, as usual.

-DC  

Edited by SARK9

Well it looks like there is an actual hole in the leather. But it’s a bit smaller than the other holes. So it didn’t pull the thread through the leather. We’ve been messing with the stitch length and it seems like the longer the stitch the worse it gets for whatever reason. But now that we replaced the needle maybe the length could be adjusted which might now be the new issue. Here is a pic of the hole... with the bridge still in tact. 

B1A37F6D-9712-4E2E-94E2-B4618F9915D4.jpeg

I have no adjustment data for the Singer Class 7 but I would assume you have to lower the needle bar a tiny bit. It happens that the needle bar moves a up a little bit over the years (?) of use. Or you probably have bring the hook closer to the needle.

I would download the Consew 733 Manual and use the adjustment data because it is a very similar machine.

http://www.consew.com/Files/112347/InstructionManuals/733R.pdf

All to my best knowledge.

EDIT:

looks like you are sewing 1 layer of relatively thin leather - what happens when you sew 3 - 4 layers of leather or thicker material in general?

Edited by Constabulary