samNZJP

Note/Bill section for bi-fold wallets

Hello,

so when making a bi-fold, usually I have two find pieces for the final stitch. One has all the card slots and coin pockets on it and the other is just a slightly bigger piece of leather that is used as the back piece where the notes go. Does anyone have a good method for stitching these two together? As one is bigger than the other, I end up using a lot of clips and glue to hold it together as I sew. You know how there is that small gap at the bottom of the wallet?

sam

Well, one layer has to be shorter than the other to allow the wallet to fold, so it's kind of the nature of the beast that final assembly is a pain. If you don't have one, I highly recommend that you get a stitching pony / horse / clam - the clamp really helps hold things stable while you sew and takes a lot of the aggravation out of it.

Or you can go "minimalist bi-fold" like this one I made for my brother. Those slots hold 3 or 4 cards in a stack.

DucksWallet-face-sm.jpg

DucksWallet-int-sm.jpg

I glue the pieces around the edge, stitch, skipping the part in the middle. That way, you can stitch from each to the beginning of the center gap, then do the other side. No stitches for me in the middle.

Jeff

I do one side at a time. Sometimes I stitch the middle gap sometimes I don't. The middle gap usually has a half circle cut out on the part with the cards so stitching g would only be on the exterior of the wallet. 

1. Like up the interior and exterior on one side of the wallet. Glue or use double stick tape to hold it in place. Once that's dry / ready to go stitch from the top corner down and around to the center "gap" portion.

2. Stop here at the gap if you want. If not stitch just to the other side of the gap just before the interior shoulr start again.

3. Repeat step one for the other side. If you happened to stitch the gap straight through, you will be starting your stitching in the bottom around to the top corner. However, you can stop and tie off the stitching at the gap, then start at the top corner and around back to where you tied off the stitching and connect the stitched sections there and "hide" your backstitch at the bottom of the wallet. That's what I recommend. 

It is easier,slightly , to skip the middle section. 20180813_231655-1620x719.thumb.jpg.5423da88e78ea93c13598f4dd4c4c37e.jpg

I've done both ways. I always just figured it was a PITA and that it is just dealt with using a pony/clamp/clamps/clips or some sort.

12 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I've done both ways. I always just figured it was a PITA and that it is just dealt with using a pony/clamp/clamps/clips or some sort.

Yes it can be a pain on the second part haha

Stetson's #1 sounds like a good idea. That might be my new policy! Also, the thin "glue tape" that Tandy, and maybe others sell, is really great for this stuff. It's thin, it doesn't need to dry, and it really bonds the two layers for stitching. I'd almost forgotten about it for a while, then I saw it hanging on my wall, and tried it again. Worked great! I'm back to using it. It seems to stick to the needles less, too, than contact cement.

Jeff

Looks like it’s annoying for everyone!

Haha, for me it's because the wallet curves and doesn't fit in my stitching pony all that well. You just have to stick it out and keep going haha.

Yep, ^^^^^is exactly what I do. Strategic clamping. Not a lot that can hurt the work inside the pony and the leather should be able to bend a good amount without issue.