trailrunner

Juki 1541 for leather?

I've had a Juki 1541s for a couple years now that I use to sew canvas.  It's a wonderful machine, but up until now I've not used it for leather.  I was wondering if its ok to use this machine to sew one piece of 10/12 oz bridle leather to one piece of 18oz canvas?  I tried it and the machine seemed to sew through it no problem, but I was using a regular needed rather than a leather needle to avoid cutting and weakening the canvas.  Would sewing this on a regular basis, like for a couple hours once a week, ruin the machine?  Is that pushing it beyond its intended usage?  I can always just use rivets instead, but the stitching is lighter and more flexible.

Also, is v92 thread appropriate for this, or would v138 thread be better?  I'm completely new to sewing leather with a machine.  Thanks in advance!

You are correct about using the round point needles because of the canvas layer. However, the round point needle will tend to heat up and stick in the leather. So, buy titanium coated needles to cut through with less friction. I recommend #19 or #20 needles for #92 bonded nylon/polyester thread, or #22 or #23 needles with #138 bonded nylon/polyester thread. The larger size pokes a bigger hole that makes it easier to pull the knots up. But, this also increases the friction.

Bridle leather tends to be a little easier to penetrate and sew than saddle Latigo, veg-tan, or skirting leather. I use a Cowboy CB4500 for heavy sewing jobs. I reserve the walking foot machines for lighter weight stuff. One look at the take-up lever on the big 441 clone vs a walking foot upholstery class machine should 'splain it.

thanks for the information Wiz.  I'll stick to using copper rivets for now.  I sew over small pieces of the bridle leather all the time, but I'm going to avoid doing long runs of stitching on the heavier leather with this machine.  Not really crazy about the way the thinner thread looks on the leather anyway.  Thanks again

In my confident thought on your specfic question, my answer is the Juki 1541 in any sub class can perform that task 8 hours per day at least! With its typical maintenance and lube schedule within the factory manuals.

I really am confident its not a big deal task,  what is in question in my opinion is the very same that would be in question on a Juki 441 with even bigger needles. 

That in my opinion is first the sew speed to which the needle heats up and melts the thread.

Second is both these machines will jack up a needle if the material is jerked, so moving the needle to hit adjacent parts. These above and following are just my first considerations as another owner.

Some of our projects I think we all would agree, benefit from thread size first by our most basic securement requirement.

These then are probably marketed as much by our visual appeal although the task or use of the product would never warrant the bigger threads hefty appeal. 

I can change my opinion later as life is sure an education. Though confident enough to have just setup one.

A basement stored, new found machine purchase ( in another state i had to travel for ) brand new Juki 1541 ( no S ).  

I’ve replaced the new clutch motor. Powering with a new Sew quiet 6k and running it through a Cowboy box reducer. 

Made very very few lunches out on the town for a good while to again pull this off. Being semi retired we learn to make trade offs and for sure lasting choices.

Have a good day 

Floyd