PossumHollow

Help with a boot pattern

Howdy folks I am interested in trying to make a pair of boots. I want to make something like these boots found in this mid 1800's photo. I have done a little searching and have come up empty so thought I would post here and see if anyone can point me in the direction of where I can find an existing  pattern for boots like these or something similar that I could modify. 

kelderasha_man_11.jpg

I have a different suggestion. Visit as many Estate Sales as you can find in Ohio. I bet you come up with a pair of these "dogs".

Open up the seams and make a pattern.

Ferg

I've never made any kind of footwear, figured it was time i get out of my comfort zone and give it a go!

These two pikers probably stole those boots.

They are similar but simpler than modern riding boots. You'll need lasts though.

13 hours ago, PossumHollow said:

I've never made any kind of footwear, figured it was time i get out of my comfort zone and give it a go!

The boots in the picture look more like Wellington's than cowboy boots.  Different process/pattern. 

Don't know how close you are to Chicago, but there is a leather working/shoe making school there.  Techniques are modern, but with the right equipment, you can make most any style.

Jason Horvatter of Laughing Crowe and Village Video shot a DIY video of Jason' non-lasted work boot.  They should be finishing up here really soon. They thought they were going to be done last month, but still had a lot of editing to do.  Once done, they will be available on he website.  This might get you what you are looking for as far as construction goes without investing in sewing machines.

I have something tugging at the edge of my memory that I have seen a pattern for boots similar to these, but they were more Medieval, possibly eastern European.  If I remember where I saw it, I'll pass it along.

1 hour ago, Aven said:

The boots in the picture look more like Wellington's than cowboy boots.  Different process/pattern. 

Don't know how close you are to Chicago, but there is a leather working/shoe making school there.  Techniques are modern, but with the right equipment, you can make most any style.

Jason Horvatter of Laughing Crowe and Village Video shot a DIY video of Jason' non-lasted work boot.  They should be finishing up here really soon. They thought they were going to be done last month, but still had a lot of editing to do.  Once done, they will be available on he website.  This might get you what you are looking for as far as construction goes without investing in sewing machines.

I have something tugging at the edge of my memory that I have seen a pattern for boots similar to these, but they were more Medieval, possibly eastern European.  If I remember where I saw it, I'll pass it along.

Thank you I'll keep an eye out for the video when it comes available. These men were likely from Romania so quite possible you are recalling correctly!