guildsmyn

servo motor for pfaff 145

hey folks,

I have looked at most of the treads on servo motors, most thread are a few years old. Just wondering what people are currently recommending for servo motors. I am looking for good torque at lower speeds for thicker leather.  I will be sewing layers 1/2 thick, but will also need to sew thinner leather. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

thanks

Contact Bob at Toledo Sewing - banner ad at the top of these pages.  He will fix you up with a motor and speed reducer.

Gary

I put a servo on my 111W155 and it works great for thinner stuff. I also just got the Cowboy 3200 which came with a servo and speed reduction set up for high torque at low speeds for the heavier stuff up to 1/2". Both the servo conversion for the Singer and the ready to sew Cowboy came from Bob at Toledo Sewing. You can't beat his customer service, give him a call.

Not sure if your gonna get enough lift on the feet of your 145 to accommodate 1/2" thick leather.  Amazon has the motors also...

Good torque, low speed and leather - you will need to factor in a speed reducer with the motor, as already mentioned. A servo, by itself, will not meet your requirements. Other than that, if you're uncertain about a motor stick to the brands the advertisers here sell.

Edited by dikman

Thank you for the replies, I will contact Bob at Toledo Sewing and see what he recommends.

I have been reading about the Sewquiet 6000sm. Does anyone have experience with these motors

1 hour ago, Konapaniolo said:

Not sure if your gonna get enough lift on the feet of your 145 to accommodate 1/2" thick leather.  Amazon has the motors also...

It's good to go...I have already sewn a 1/2 of leather.  My machine uses system 190 needles and has 14mm presser foot clearance 

There are a few modern servo motors out there that have very high power and torque and a very slow starting speed of 100 RPM (most servos start around 300 RPM). But these motors are hard to find.  One US based vendor is SewPro, who sells the SP-1100, check this topic for details: 

I was looking for an alternative to the SewPro motors and eventually ordered some 1,000 W servo motors directly from a manufacturer on Alibaba earlier this year for testing. Turns out the motors are very nice and they even installed small 50mm pulleys for me at the factory. My main requirements were: 1KW power, separate motor, controller, and speed input components for flexible mounting, 100 RPM starting speed, 50mm pulley, needle position sensor option, intuitive keypad with quick and direct speed control buttons and a dedicated needle position button with Up/Down/Off modes. It took me months to find this one. I'm NOT planning to re-sell these motors, which is why I'm sharing the sourcing info here.

Downside of sorts is you have to buy them in multiples of four motors. Shipping via air express was quick but pricey and a bit sketchy - DHL is just as bad as the other guys. Luckily all four motors survived the rough handling. Next time I'll order enough motors to ship them on a pallet via ocean freight. I have plenty of machines that need motors.

Alibaba is really a Businees-to-Business marketplace and not geared towards end users. It's definitely not like Amazon. Alibaba works best if you have a sense of adventure, enjoy the occasional gamble, and have patience communicating with folks who's English may be spotty but is still way better than your Chinese.

Intuitive keypad?:lol: That would be a first. I notice that the specs list the slowest speed as 500rpm?

Lishui is the company that made the servos I bought (three of) and so far I've had no issues with them. It should be possible to find the same motor on Aliexpress, which deals with individual sales, but it could take a lot of searching and the price will probably be higher.

17 hours ago, dikman said:

I notice that the specs list the slowest speed as 500rpm?

I believe that is the slowest maximum speed you can dial in. 

In other news, just realized that the SP-1100 motor is also available from  @Gregg From Keystone Sewing  with quick and easy online ordering. I'm glad to see that type of motor offered by additional vendors.  

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 7.57.28 PM.png 

@Uwe you crack me up. My Chinese is a nonstarter. Hahahaha