superpacker

Snap Setting Issues

I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong, but when I use a hand setter, the two parts of my top snaps always end up off center from each other. Especially on thin leathers. I’ve tried small constant hammer hits, one heavy hit, same results. Is there a key to perfectly setting snaps without having a press?

I use something else to get them started.

Go to the tool box or hardware store and find a large nail set or punch. You may have to take a grinder to it, but here is the just.

You need something to start the mushrooming effect on the post. 

I have two old Osborne tools that I use. The end of them kind of looks like a spinning top that kids play with.

I have no idea what their true purpose is for, but they work great at fixing the problem you are having. 

#iknowyourpain

I had similar problems and seems often are the snaps the problem - The best snaps you can buy are DOT, STIMPSON and OSBORNE. I get best results with REAL brass snaps not steel or brass / copper plated. REAL BRASS - made in the USA - not China! Thats at least my experience. I once bought Chinese snaps and they said real brass - figured they were copper plated steel and just one part of the set was real brass - they all fxck you. Better buy Made in USA brass snaps from established manufacturers.

Edited by Constabulary

I finally gave up and purchased a press and die sets for attaching snaps. I had the same issues you are describing and it is frustrating. Take a look at the Goldstar Tool web site, they have a package deal for $70 that gets you a press and a set of dies of one size of your choosing. When I bought mine a few years ago I got the press, LN 24 and LN 20 dies along with some snaps for under $100.

The amount of frustration and time it has saved me are worth a lot more than that.

I have the same problem with the smaller sized ones, and as long you don't care if they are rounded, the only way I can get them to set and be straight is by using pliers. just go slow with it when you do. works out every time for me.

Several factor cause offset when setting: (all of which I ran into and have to correct once they were pointed out to me)

• holes too big in leather - 2 size punches needed for the two posts on the male or female snap - will cause issues even with press
  • post too long fro leather thickness - yes often you will need to snipe the post down a little - good side snipers then open the post up again with a nail setter or modelling tool etc. - will cause issues even with press
  • When using hand set you need to angle the setter a little off plum and rotate it around the post with continuous light tapes (thin of the setter following a conical path - check out the how to video on Tandy as this is well demonstrated.

Hope this helps

This is most often caused by too long of posts on the domes and studs or crappy snaps.  Get posts the correct length and stick to quality brass snaps.  

Correct components are inexpensive compared to the time wasted fighting with problems or damaging leather (that you have a lot of work invested in).

I’m going to look for better snaps and focus on post length going forward. And the conical path tip from plinkercase has also been helpful. These two thinks should get me there. Thanks!

Edited by superpacker

Oh Snap!!! glad it is getting better as hardware can add real frustration near the end of a hard build....

I use the same rotation method and an appropriate amount of force...based on my set up. After I tap out the rotation I set it by holding the setting tool in the vertical position and give it a smack

On 9/7/2018 at 1:03 PM, Ed in Tx said:

I finally gave up and purchased a press and die sets for attaching snaps. I had the same issues you are describing and it is frustrating. Take a look at the Goldstar Tool web site, they have a package deal for $70 that gets you a press and a set of dies of one size of your choosing. When I bought mine a few years ago I got the press, LN 24 and LN 20 dies along with some snaps for under $100.

The amount of frustration and time it has saved me are worth a lot more than that.

Going down this rabbit hole. I've been meaning to get a press for setting snaps (despite work space constraints for the next few months) I see they offer a dual station foot press for $500. Would you care to share your thoughts on their tools? I would have bought a few bench mounted presses but I seem to like the idea of keeping my hands free with a foot press. Especially one that's free standing. 

I just received the Goldstar press today - $115 delivered included line 20 & line 24 dies and 100 sets of line 20 snaps.  Have not used it yet but it appears to be very solid!

Gary

I am happy that I bought the Goldstar press for setting rivets, and feel it is a huge improvement for hand setting snaps.  However, the snaps that they sell and fit it are just too darn cheap - they bend with use.  I still need to buy another snap setting system that uses better quality snaps.  So in the long run it will end up being more expensive than just buying something nice right from the start.

7 hours ago, Willie0 said:

I am happy that I bought the Goldstar press for setting rivets, and feel it is a huge improvement for hand setting snaps.  However, the snaps that they sell and fit it are just too darn cheap - they bend with use.  I still need to buy another snap setting system that uses better quality snaps.  So in the long run it will end up being more expensive than just buying something nice right from the start.

Shouldn’t the press be compatible with any line 20 or line 24 snap?  I have snaps from Ohio Travel Bag and Tandy - will test them later today.

Gary

Edited by garypl

In our shop we use a heritage foot press and the weaver little wonder,they both work well .. 

4 hours ago, garypl said:

Shouldn’t the press be compatible with any line 20 or line 24 snap?  I have snaps from Ohio Travel Bag and Tandy - will test them later today.

Gary

The line 20's from Tandy and Springfield don't fit.

I haven't had any issues using my Goldstar press and dies with the LN24 snaps from Springfield. I have occasionally had to start the LN20 snaps with the hand setter and finish them with the press. I no longer purchase anything from Tandy simply based on their ridiculous prices, everything Tandy sells is overpriced when compared to competitors. 

18 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

Going down this rabbit hole. I've been meaning to get a press for setting snaps (despite work space constraints for the next few months) I see they offer a dual station foot press for $500. Would you care to share your thoughts on their tools? I would have bought a few bench mounted presses but I seem to like the idea of keeping my hands free with a foot press. Especially one that's free standing. 

Sorry, I can't tell you about any of the other tools they sell. Your intended use and volume of use should dictate which one you choose. I only use snaps occasionally so investing the $500 wouldn't make sense for me. If you are using snaps on everything you make and have the room the larger foot press might be a better choice.

I just got a snap setter from Barry King.  I got the one for a line 20 but he has other sizes.  It's not on his website, but you can call and talk to him.  It's a machined cylinder with a recess machined at either end, one for the male half of the snap and one for the female.  It is center-bored for the punch and it holds down the snap on its base while you smack the punch without getting the fingers of your other hand involved.  I think it works better than my lever press because none of the components can move while being set!

Mike

Mike thats a cool approach. Can you post i pic?

On 9/13/2018 at 11:20 AM, Willie0 said:

The line 20's from Tandy and Springfield don't fit.

The Goldstar press works great with the line 20 snaps I ordered from Goldstar.  I tested a line 20 from Tandy and the cap portion set perfectly but the button section gave me problems - the post bent to the sides bit.  Still going to test snaps from Ohio Travel Bag.  The Goldstar snaps seemed to function well - guess I’ll see how they hold up long term.

Gary