d72hemi

fur sewing machine recommendations

I have recently become interested in light leather work such as fur gloves, driving gloves, and similar projects. Being stationed in Germany has brought these and the sewing machines used to make them to my attention.  I am almost ready to buy a fur sewing machine and I think I have narrowed down the models I should be looking for but I would like some of your opinions as a sanity check. Ranked hight to low:

Bonis (any submodel), Pros: some parts still made and factory support  https://bonisparts.com/  Cons: $$$ and hard to find, the only local machine is only the head and they want me to make an offer

Singer 46K (probably a 46K26), Pros: a treadle mounted one is near me and it will look great with my Singer 201s.  Cons: Parts are rare and $$$$$, not sure how much they want for it.

Strobel, Pros: numerous over here, some selling for cheap* Cons: Most are $$$$ and there does not look to me much support one I get back to the US

Pfaff, Pros: usually a good brand  Cons: not many for sale and $$$

Rittershausen Pros: a few are available for cheap Cons: I can't find much information on the or parts

Wakra only saw one looks like a Bonis, no other information 

Below are the pictures of the Singer 46 I am primarily looking at. Let me know what you think about any of this.

46K (2).JPG

46K (3).JPG

46K (4).JPG

46k(1).JPG

46k.JPG

Hey - I would buy the Singer, just because it looks great and would go well with my other singer industrials...

I don't know anything about sewing fur, so I really can't give you any knowledgeable information about those machines - just my passion for the old Singer machines - both domestic and industrial (see my list below my signature).

But looking at the ismacs site -
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/model-list/classes-1-99.html
... it looks like the one you are looking at is the right machine.  Just check whether it is single thread or double thread - just so you know what you are getting.  46K26 is capable of double thread - as pictured here -
46k26.jpg

Your photos look like there are two tensioners ready for two threads.

Check with the Cowboy suppliers here - they can tell you if they have parts which will fit such a machine.  I have my doubts but they might.  The standard leather straight stitch machines from Cowboy usually have interchangeable parts with old Singer machines, so they might have some equivalents for the 46.

What a great looking machine - now I want one... (even though I don't have any plans to sew fur)

Good luck

Trevor