Kolby

Juki lu 563 adjustments

Hey guys! I’ve got another few questions for you. Last post I did I was asking about buying the Juki lu 563. I picked it up and got a new servo motor for it. So I tried sewing so,e projects but the stitching wasn’t turning out the was I though. Yes I’m new at this so it most likely is my shakey hands that are messing everything up but I still wanted to check the machine over to make sure everything is turned.

My biggest issue is the stitch length isn’t set properly. I can only get 5per inch or like 12 per inch. Also when I reverse stitch, it does it in much smaller lengths and puts even more holes in my leather. I followed the video in all of the adjustments but I couldn’t get it to work much better. 

This is leads me to my questions. How would I adjust the switch length? (When I set it to 4 per inch it doesn’t currently do 4 per inch. More like 5 or 6) how can I adjust the reverse stitch length. Is it normal for my dogging foot to be rubbing abit against the plate under the presser foot?

thanks for your help in advance.

P.s. I wrote this late at nigh off of little sleep, hope it makes sense.

stitch length if max at 4 spi, will shorten with taller material, I'm not much help for the fwd/rev, but there should be an adjustment for that...maybe @uwe

stitch length if max at 4 spi, will shorten with taller material, I'm not much help for the fwd/rev, but there should be an adjustment for that...maybe @uwe has a video covering something like this...i searched like this site:www.youtube.com juki lu-563 reverse stitch adjustment and first vid popped up...tada..., if you've already watched this and tried the adjustment, may just take some more tweaking...

Hey thanks for the replies. Yea koreric, I checked that video out. It’s pretty good but it’s the last pArt about adjusting the length that I don’t seem to get. 

19 hours ago, keithski122 said:

I use a juki 563 and also don't seem to get the 1/4 inch stitch length possibly due to thicker materials (upholstery work), its probably closer to 5mm.

How’s your reverse stitch though? Does it go back the same length?

27 minutes ago, Kolby said:

Hey thanks for the replies. Yea koreric, I checked that video out. It’s pretty good but it’s the last pArt about adjusting the length that I don’t seem to get. 

I haven't tried this, so can't expand on the procedure... from the video it does seem it is a trial and error process...I would try making a paper gauge like @Uwe has to test the fwd and reverse stitches...

4 hours ago, Kolby said:

Its pretty much in the holes, not sure how I adjusted it though.Probably would have been using Uwe's video, I have played about with settings a lot and never seem to get it fully right.At the moment if I reverse when sewing thick tough materials its quite likely I'll snap a needle, if I'm sewing something like this I'll just spin the material sew a few stitches then spin and sew rather than use reverse.My machines in daily use so I can't afford to mess up the settings.

The feed eccentric unit may bind up due to dried oil or dirt before it reaches the limits of its adjustment travel, which could limit stitch length.  I'm working on a video on how to take the feed eccentric assembly apart for cleaning and how to adjust the friction gib - hopefully i'll get it done soon.

Hey sorry for letting that drag on, i havnt been able to get to a computer the past few days. Im still stuck on the stitch lengths but at least the reverse speed seems to be exactly one half of the stitch so it shouldn't be a huge deal. The perfectionist in me wants everything to be running like it were new but i understand that i may not get that. I may try and adjust it more, if i do il take a video to show you, maybe you guys can spot what im doing wrong.

On 9/9/2018 at 10:27 PM, Uwe said:

The feed eccentric unit may bind up due to dried oil or dirt before it reaches the limits of its adjustment travel, which could limit stitch length.  I'm working on a video on how to take the feed eccentric assembly apart for cleaning and how to adjust the friction gib - hopefully i'll get it done soon.

Id love it if you could get that video. Have you thought about doing a complete rebuild video?

I need this video too.  I have an older, well used Singer 111G156 I acquired last year that is suppose to have a max stitch length of 5 SPI.  I can get that if I adjust the reverse cam screw underneath, but then my reverse stitch length becomes much shorter than the forward stitch length.  It's a compromise for now but I suspect the eccentric unit is not adjustable to its full range or there is something else limiting the range.  I'm wondering if the stitch indicator adjustment on top or something else can limit this range, but I don't think so?

and here's what happens when you don't lubricate the machine.

Spring loaded cam in center got seized on shaft and feed screw broke off.

Now a major job or replacing screw.

563_feed_screw.jpg