chrisash

Allowance for wet molds

Hi folks

If I make a set of Male and Female molds for wet forming, what sort of allowance to i make as a gap between the two, obviously the male it made to the finish size, but the female part needs to allow for moth the thickness of the leather plus i guess a bit more, any idea of the bit more?

It would depend on what shape you are trying to wet form. Most wouldn't require any "extra" (though if you have an inside and outside forms, an entry radius would be nice)

Basically looking at rectangular shape more length than breadth about 1 inch high with well rounded edges using either 2 or 3mm leather

Basically you only need to allow for the thickness of the leather to be used, and most times you don't even need to do that. A male fitting tightly into the female part will just sit further out when leather is put between. The only time you really need to consider leaving a size difference is if you are using a buck and a frame around it to press the leather down over it

I got mine made out of 3/4in nylon with a 4mm gap . I will post a picture soon as i have a chance

FredK That is what i am thinking about the female part pressed down over the male mold to give the flat edge to sew

A lot of the answers to this would require knowing what amount of rounding of the edges there is and what material such as ply wood or nylon and what distance you can get in to sew as well. If the corners are quite box like you would need extra etc. Is it veg tanned leather? I would try and put in a picture of the shape you want to achieve before doing anything more. This link may help a bit - Somewhere in there you will see a handcuff pouch which is about 1" high and I can give you some more detail on that if needed.