chuckgaudette

Bell Skiver Feed Roller Replacement

The feed roller on my Consew Bell Skiver literally broke. For some reason, the leather got bunched up between the roller and the knife and the roller shattered. I have a replacement roller but I need some help with the steps involved in replacing it. With the roller in place on the shaft and in the bracket, I can’t seem to get the shaft positioned between it and the drive shaft joint. Are there some parts that need to be removed to facilitate replacing the roller? The manual isn’t much help in this. Thanks

IMG_2540.jpg

:o wow chuck that looks like that metal is pretty weak?? :blink: when you install the new one i imagine you have the whole assembly out. tighten up the shaft for the new stone then make sure it turns freely but does not wobble or move front to back on the shaft, then position the feed shaft and hand turn your main shaft until the two pins fit in the end of the stone. hope that makes sense, if not i can send a picture. jimi.

Edited by jimi

1 hour ago, jimi said:

:o wow chuck that looks like that metal is pretty weak?? :blink: when you install the new one i imagine you have the whole assembly out. tighten up the shaft for the new stone then make sure it turns freely but does not wobble or move front to back on the shaft, then position the feed shaft and hand turn your main shaft until the two pins fit in the end of the stone. hope that makes sense, if not i can send a picture. jimi.

I have the new roller and the shaft. That's as far as I've gone. I can position the roller in the bracket at the front of the machine but I can't get the shaft back in between the roller and the drive shaft bracket in back. I don't know if I need to remove some additional parts to do that and, if so exactly which parts. 

IMG_2542.jpg

I figured it out. You have to remove the roller bracket arm. You'd think they'd tell you in the manual. 

13 hours ago, jimi said:

when you install the new one i imagine you have the whole assembly out

Sorry for the late response chuck, we are a few hours of time difference. i imagined you had the assembly out ( i should have said the roller bracket arm). glad to hear you got it fixed. i reckon you were lucky you did not mess up your knife! looking at your picture it looks like you have the ejector inside the knife at the bottom?? according to the fortuna manual it should be approx 15mm from the edge. so if you move it forward remember its position when you take off the inside burr. I am not sure about your model but there is a small scraper option in the fortuna types that help scrape away any leather stuck to the wheel. i have found this very helpful not having any suction fitted.