ByNelson

Do you Reuse old leather

Hello all 

I just got a free load of leather and skins... among this was three old school bag like 60’ style... and now I’m thinking about if it’s possible to cut it up and cleaning it and then reusing it, but is it a good idea?

I do like the thought of not just throwing things away but I’m not really sure how it would work... anybody tried using really old stuff? 

And if you did what did you make? 

Kind regards Sarah 

I have seen plenty of tv shots where someone buys a really old battered leather bag and with some cleaning and conditioner plus a lot of hard work end up with a nice looking bag

I guess as long as its not cracked up you can reuse it with the antique look already done for you

23 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I have seen plenty of tv shots where someone buys a really old battered leather bag and with some cleaning and conditioner plus a lot of hard work end up with a nice looking bag

I guess as long as its not cracked up you can reuse it with the antique look already done for you

That what I thought to do but only the big parts can be used I think.. maybe wallets or something :) 

My dad had a fringed suede jacket from when he was a teenager that has been in the family for a long time and I finally got tired of looking at it so I took it apart and am slowly using it to line things with. If its bag leather though, it may be a bit floppy for wallets but may be ok for wallet pockets or something? Lining stuff is always an option if it is good and soft.

I would think maybe a wipe down with a damn cloth to try and get a bit of moisture back into it and let that have a few minutes to recover and then maybe a thin wipe down with some NFO or some other leather conditioner. It looks super dry.

44 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

I would think maybe a wipe down with a damn cloth to try and get a bit of moisture back into it and let that have a few minutes to recover and then maybe a thin wipe down with some NFO or some other leather conditioner. It looks super dry.

I have wiped it with water and saddle soap and NFO... then I gave it a bit of balm.... still feels a bit dry so maybe I’ll give it more conditioning... but it have a beautiful color... and would look good reused... 

Make sure you give the NFO and balm time to do it's thing. At least 24 hrs.

I would do above but repair it as well as it looks like it has so much character. Definitely a good helping of NFO and i would leave for 2-3 days before conditioner

Just cut the old stitches and restitch  

Edited by chrisash

14 minutes ago, chrisash said:

I would do above but repair it as well as it looks like it has so much character. Definitely a good helping of NFO and i would leave for 2-3 days before conditioner

Just cut the old stitches and restitch  

Maybe I will with one of them... but I don’t have the need for 3 identical bags :) but I try to salvage what I can from the rest ... 

anybody want to share stuff that they made with old reused leather would be great... :) 

That bag has ' restoration ' written all over it :) Ditto to the above.  A good dose of oil,  even re-colour it if need be  to hide any scratches, discolouration etc.  . But to cut it, and the others  up for something else ? 

Nup :)  Restore. 

heres a pic of a bag  I restored  and sold. 

HS 

Refurbished Hand Bag edit.jpg

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

That bag has ' restoration ' written all over it :) Ditto to the above.  A good dose of oil,  even re-colour it if need be  to hide any scratches, discolouration etc.  . But to cut it, and the others  up for something else ? 

Nup :)  Restore. 

heres a pic of a bag  I restored  and sold. 

HS 

Refurbished Hand Bag edit.jpg

Well restoring is ok, but I really don’t have the space to store 2 ekstra bags... and I think it will be hard to sell them... :) The one above I already cut up, but I will think about it some more before doing any more cutting :) 

Nice restoration better in black

Wow, super great save on that bag @Handstitched!

Did you get a pattern of it? It looked like a really good pattern.

Oooo! I love the chains on the strap!

Edited by ScoobyNewbie

I've seen people make very nice watch straps out of old leather "bomber" jackets.

Edited by Alisdair

Nice old bag. Hope you find a good use for them.  

Edited by bullmoosepaddles
Change content

G'Day and thank you for your responses, 

ByNelson , I do appreciate the differences in market demand. These  old   bags get snapped up real quick  here. But   I hope you're able to restore maybe at least one of them :)  and love to see what you'll do with the one you've cut up . The  old leather has a lovely natural  aged colour.  There maybe enough leather for a nice purse , wallet or a clutch bag just looking at your pic. 

HS

4 hours ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day and thank you for your responses, 

ByNelson , I do appreciate the differences in market demand. These  old   bags get snapped up real quick  here. But   I hope you're able to restore maybe at least one of them :)  and love to see what you'll do with the one you've cut up . The  old leather has a lovely natural  aged colour.  There maybe enough leather for a nice purse , wallet or a clutch bag just looking at your pic. 

HS

I will try to find a project for the leather that will work with the nice patina it already got. :) I really appreciate all your help and ideas. 

Kind regards Sarah