chrisash

Cheap Far East cobblers sewing machines

Hi folk

Not thinking of buying one but the often show up for sale, So basic they look like the perfect solution for third world countries and probably have a long life as easy to mend.

Just wondering if anyone had used one and how good the sewing is in the right hands

see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332701438530 

There have been a few posts about these things, look up Chinese shoe patcher. There are also a few youtube vids about them. I have one, although I haven't used it as not long after buying it I started buying industrial machines :rolleyes:.

For what they are they're not too bad, pretty basic but really need a bit of work to smooth them out. They do the job they were designed for, patching and repairing stuff. Bobbin is tiny and it's limited to #69/M40 thread.

I have one. It's... simple. Had it since Christmas but rarely get time to fiddle with it. The bobbins are like aspirins and the finish is rough as a badger's bum. Doesn't like anything bigger than TKT40.

All this aside it works and it's not very heavy. Not something I'm likely to recommend unless somebody really needed a portable patcher, but should be fine for repairs, which is what it's intended for. Should be good for grubby stuff you wouldn't want to put in your "good" sewing machine and where the function of the repair is more important than the appearance. Horse rugs would be about right. A chap or chapess could probably make a good living making doing the rounds of the horse yards within a half day's drive of their home. Chuck this machine in the back of a small car with a box of buckles, canvas patches and webbing with a roll of TKT40 thread and you'd have a portable rug repair shop. Horses are always damaging their rugs and yard managers are usually keen to save money.

I'd have to disagree with the two above posts are far as no recommending the machine. I have had one for about a week and after filing and polishing a few rough edges I have it sewing like a dream. Yes, the bobbin is small but plenty to work on smaller projects like wallets, key chains, and of course sewing leather patches on. The amount of control you get with the hand crank, however slow it may be, is unparalleled in my experiences. It comes as a rough crude machine but after some slight cleaning, tuning, and tweaking I got mine to be very accurate and sewing #69 bonded nylon thread with ease. I have ordered some size 22 needles and #138 bonded nylon thread from Bantam Saddle & Tack so I'm looking forward to seeing how that runs through the machine. After watching numerous videos I've seen plenty of people running thicker thread in it without an issue! I paid $130 for mine with free 2 day shipping on amazon and so far I believe it's worth every penny!

I bought one of those Chinese Patcher machine. I spent two days cleaning and polishing it out. They come oily and unfinnished metal surface. I also made several mod to help it sew better and give it a unique touch. I a HF grinder bench for height and stability.  The tripod base that came with it was useless. I have posted pictures my finnish machine on this site. As for sewing I love it for the price point. It sews well once all adjusted. Great machine for tight and awkward sewing. Love the simplicity of the unit. I did order spare parts to have on hand.

cp1.jpg

I just bought one ($110), it should be here in a couple weeks.

I have searched through this site and I have all the information (and a great video) for set up

and adjustment. I only need it for small projects but it will be a great time saver for me.

Thanks for all the great information here, everybody.

Doug