garypl

Consew 206RB-4 Reverse Stitch Length

I have a problem with a Consew 206RB-4 reverse stitch length and I hope someone can give me some tips.  

The reverse stitch length is @1/2 the length of the forward stitch length.  I followed this video trying to adjust the reverse stitch length starting around 1:26 in the video.  Problem is that the Feed Regulator Rod (item 35 in parts list under Feed Regulator section) will not move.  I loosen the Pinch Screw (item 2) but cannot get any movement in the Rod.  I sprayed the assembly with penetrating oil in case the whole assembly was frozen, but no help.  Has anyone else had a problem with this adjustment?  For now I have just been turning the workpiece around to back stitch, but sure would be nice to be able to reverse backstitch.  Here is a picture of the screw and rod, looking down from the oil reservoir on the top of the head.

Thanks for the help!

Gary

465D1BB1-2AA6-4566-89E5-DBAB7FC65E3A.jpeg

This is one rare case that a 206RB-5 does not have the same adjustment than the -4 models.  They are very different, see attached parts page for the -4 machines.

206RB-4Parts_Pages.pdf

Thanks Gregg.  I see the difference- do you have a procedure on how to adjust the stitch length so forward and reverse are equal?

Gary

It's kind of locked in without anyway to adjust this area.  I would look for something else here, really have to see the machine.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Thanks Gregg - I will search around for more information.  Must be a way to equalize forward and reverse stitch length.

Gary

On 1/29/2019 at 3:38 AM, TreTreez said:

having same problem did u find out how?

Never did figure out how to adjust - I have just been turning the piece around to backstitch.  I haven’t done much of anything lately with my machines - been busy working and traveling on business.  Will be home on Friday, hope to find some time to play a bit!

Gary

21 hours ago, TreTreez said:

I started over with this video  

Like Greg said it a locked machine  but movimg the feet to the right settings help alot.Hope it helps you as will

This is a good video - I’ll go through the adjustments again when I have time.  

Gary

Yep, this is the video where guy says you can’t setup forward/ reverse to be equal in all stitch lengths. Which is not correct.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:13 PM, katit said:

Yep, this is the video where guy says you can’t setup forward/ reverse to be equal in all stitch lengths. Which is not correct.

If he is incorrect, how do we fix the trouble?

I have only been able to get forward and reverse lengths about equal if the stitches are set to @2-3 per inch, which is much longer than I ever use.

Gary

9 hours ago, garypl said:

I have only been able to get forward and reverse lengths about equal if the stitches are set to @2-3 per inch, which is much longer than I ever use.

Gary

I've been through all of the adjustments. I found the scarf height off when the foot lifts as described in the maintenance video. Getting that set right helped on F/R but not completely.  Everything else was right on the money except the F/R length variance. Still trying to get my head around the regulator adjustment. Seems there are 2 versions of the 206RB-4. Figures right? Going to tinker some more today with it. If I can get that set correctly the machine will be done and ready to go. I haven't wanted to run mine much as its dry and my oil hasn't come in. Should be here today. I was going to use Marvel Mystery Oil but decided to wait and get the proper stuff.

I am hoping this info will be the answer. See the 9th post down by wetcoaserider

Edit- I see you posted in that thread so you are familiar with it.... There has to be an answer.

Edited by jrjr2u

Marvel Mystery Oil..
I had never heard of it..I thought you were joking with that name..But I looked it up ( thinking it was going to be a "Tex Avery" product" )..Imagine my surprise to discover it is a thing..and a "thing" that has been around for a long time..which, when you read about it here below
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil

Makes you wonder how it and the company who makes it have survived..must be the magical properties of the lard.. ;)

In an NTSB post aircraft accident investigation published in 2003, it was reported that Marvel Mystery Oil was composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.[3], but failed to mention any other trace chemical components.

Claims

Marvel Mystery Oil marketing literature claims benefits which include improved lubricating qualities, primarily cleaning and friction reduction capabilities. The product has previously been marketed as a fuel additive in all kinds of engines, including aircraft (although the company no longer markets it for the latter application on their website). It has also been used as an oil additive, corrosion inhibitor, penetrating oil, and in automatic transmissions as a leak stopper and seal relubricator.[4] Supporting evidence for claimed benefits is not provided by the manufacturer.

The lubricant was used as a fuel additive in a Lycoming aircraft engine which was specifically cautioned against oil additives (Service Instruction No. 1014M, which also stated its use would void the warranty) which suffered catastrophic damage during take-off. The NTSB listed the probable cause of the accident as "The improper use of [a] fuel additive which resulted in a power loss."

Yep..I tend to agree with you, much better to wait for some real sewing machine oil.. :)

ps..The mixture of chemicals in the modern version of "Marvel Mystery Oil", seems designed to be as potentially ( or confirmed ) as carcinogenic as possible..Members in the state of California.."look away now".. Edited by mikesc

20 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Marvel Mystery Oil..
I had never heard of it..I thought you were joking with that name..But I looked it up ( thinking it was going to be a "Tex Avery" product" )..Imagine my surprise to discover it is a thing..and a "thing" that has been around for a long time..which, when you read about it here below
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Mystery_Oil
Makes you wonder how it and the company who makes it have survived..must be the magical properties of the lard.. ;)
Yep..I tend to agree with you, much better to wait for some real sewing machine oil.. :)
ps..The mixture of chemicals in the modern version of "Marvel Mystery Oil", seems designed to be as potentially ( or confirmed ) as carcinogenic as possible..Members in the state of California.."look away now"..

I've been using that stuff for ever. I buy it in gallons. If I recall it started out as a sewing machine oil back in the day and has evolved since then. I know they say it was designed for carbs but I think that's incorrect. Great for freeing up a seized engine among lots of other things.

See the second post here

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/o-t-wd-40-story.162060/

Edited by jrjr2u

Reading the ingredients..I hope that you told the fire service that you have it..and where it is, in case they ever have to visit to extinguish anything..and that you have a brace or two of large ABC type extinguishers in your place..

Me thinks that MMO is the least of the FD's worries   :-)

I approve of that jalopy forum..my kind of humour :)

Ahh, ye olde MMO...no matter what forum I'm on it gets a mention.:lol: Way back when it was treated by many as necessary to anything that used an internal combustion engine or needed lubricating! And still is by some........

Anyone figure this out? I have an earlier version of the 206RB....not sure if it's a 1, 2, or 3. It looks different than the 5 for sure but the adjustments in MTRC Crane's video are mostly spot on. I am in need of a replacement part(s) and am having trouble with that as well. Any ideas? I contacted Consew directly and they were really no help at all. 

What I need - I believe - is the called a "Part # 24 FEED ROCK SHAFT CRANK (BACK)" but the problem is that I am looking at a part manual for the 206RB-5 and the part looks a little different than mine. The vast majority of parts look exactly like mine however.

I can post some pics as soon as I figure out how to resize them.

I've watched a lot of machine adjustment videos, and one came to mind.  It's definitely not a Consew 206, but maybe you can learn something from it.  It's produced by Uwe Grosse who is a member here, and all of his videos are pretty top notch. Go to 9:37 for the forward/reverse stitch length adjustment.  You might also check that the top and bottom shafts aren't 1 rotation out of phase, and that the feet are lifting equal amounts.

Edited by LederMaschinist