Here are some pics from my latest article in the Leather Crafter's and Saddler's Journal.  Detailed instructions and a pattern are included in the issue, along with why this is a necessity in my life!

CT9.jpg

CT8.jpg

CT7.jpg

CT6.jpg

CT5.jpg

CT4.jpg

CT3.jpg

CT2.jpg

CT1.jpg

Beautiful work, Mike. You give us all something to aspire towards.

13 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

Beautiful work, Mike. You give us all something to aspire towards.

Thank you.  This is an easy project to make.  Fun too!

Sometimes simple things demonstrate the high level of skill.

Edited by ABHandmade

23 minutes ago, ABHandmade said:

Sometimes simple things demonstrate the high level of skill.

And sometimes, they do just the opposite :P  I really like how the stitching came out on this on though!

Nice warm rich colour and beautifully contrasted  with the yellow  thread. 

we all make  projects that are sometimes too nice to use, ...like this one  :specool:

HS 

Nice job, i have never seen anything like it but I know a few who would love one of these.

I like re-using the cut outs as coaster! this is very cool. what weights did you use for outer and liner?

it could be cool inside to make a small "box" between the cups for those who take the cream and sugar separate.

8 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

I like re-using the cut outs as coaster! this is very cool. what weights did you use for outer and liner?

it could be cool inside to make a small "box" between the cups for those who take the cream and sugar separate.

It was an added bonus!  It’s 5 oz with a 4 oz liner.  I’d probably build a gusset on the pocketbacause there’s not a lot of room between the cups.

Thanks Mike for the article in this months LCSJ, looks very useful and I'm going to give it a try this week, and hope it looks half as good as yours.

Keith, my pleasure.  Make sure you post it for all to see.

Fantastic thread, and stitching!  What is it (the thread)?  Also, absolutely awesome work on the border stamping, looks like a serious combination of tools perfectly laid out, unless you had that thing made...

YinTx

I love seeing ANY of your work.  This is no exception.

38 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Fantastic thread, and stitching!  What is it (the thread)?  Also, absolutely awesome work on the border stamping, looks like a serious combination of tools perfectly laid out, unless you had that thing made...

YinTx

Thanks, man.  Rita .6 mm thread and  a combo of a Jueschke border stamp and a Barry King filler tool.  

33 minutes ago, kiwican said:

Very nice work and great idea ! 

28 minutes ago, rodneywt1180b said:

I love seeing ANY of your work.  This is no exception.

Thanks, guys.  Have to carry coffee for me and Natalie from the shop on my motorcycle.  This fits the bill nicely.

1 hour ago, immiketoo said:

Rita .6 mm thread

Rita or Ritza?  Because it didn't look like a flat braid poly Ritza thread from your photos.

YinTx

Do you airbrush the dye or is that some block dieing technique for the starbursty thing going on? Looks rich either way. I'd guess block dyed because it is a bit irregular on the pocket toward the top but not in a flawed way at all. That border is really nice, is the semicircle it's own stamp or part of the seeded cam? Nice piece and I've never even thought of a thing like that; total utility and pretty to boot.

The dye technique is something I learned from Freddie Matara in this class, “Hand applied sunburst fade.”  

This is was my first attempt at it, and it’s not nearly as good as his, but the overall affect is pleasing.

The circle is part of the filler tool.  It’s a bit tricky to line up and it really shows if you miss hit the stamp, but looks awesome when you get it right.