BaroqueLeatherGal

Problems with ferdco pro bull

Ok so I've had this machine in my shop for almost 6 months. Since I got it its never worked correctly. I've had a sewing machine mechanic look at it a few times and we can never seem to figure out what's wrong with it. It constantly drops my lock stitch even if I do it manually. it will also skip stitches randomly when the rest of it looks fine. I'm getting frustrated..maybe someone on here can enlighten me with some ideas? I'll try and post some photos of what I mean. 

Rushing around a curve before the thread makes a loop will cause that, does it happen on straight runs as well?

Just now, koreric75 said:

Rushing around a curve before the thread makes a loop will cause that, does it happen on straight runs as well?

It happens in straight lines also. I am also going very slow. 

3 hours ago, BaroqueLeatherGal said:

does it happen on different thread spools, if the needle hole is too big it may not be enough friction to hold and cause the loop to form?  Need more specs so if someone that knows sewing machines better can better assist you...needle: size, point type, new/old/tried different needle types, sizes  thread:size, composition (nylon, poly etc) age if it's been sitting awhile or not, tried different thread sizes, types etc.. material: leather, veg, garment, thickness, weight, if none of these seem to help fix the problem then may need to look at hook timing, tensions etc...it's helpful if you have someone take a video of you sewing slow with the side cover open to see how the thread is looping or not...of course it's like that weird noise you get in a car, take it to the mechanic and it doesn't do it at all then on the way home it comes back...lol, i'm sure the sewing machine gurus will have more to offer, in the mean time try to address the first things i mentioned...if you haven't change the needle...if that doesn't help try a smaller size, wouldn't say looking you'd need a bigger size, just try to make sure the needle size and thread match and match the material you're sewing...

my old adler was skipping like crazy when i got it, but i was using a #22 round needle and #69 & #207 thread because that's what i had...i was testing it on veg tan or heavier foot leather scraps, but with some softer garment leather same thickness the #22 round and the #207 it sewed a few 20" long french seams beautifully...when if finally got in my leather point needles a #23 & the same #207 thread sews beautifully and i haven't had a skip since, one full belt double 6oz glued back to back and some of the previous test strips...no problem

Edited by koreric75

On 9/10/2018 at 2:59 PM, BaroqueLeatherGal said:

Good morning, just following up to see if you've made any progress?  It looks like a beautiful machine and i love my HD stitcher and would be lost without it.

Im curious as well. I use 277/207 with a #25 on my Ferdco. I sometimes have issues when the bobbin case gets a little too dirty. I pull the bobbin and blow it out with air and that usually fixes any hiccups. The only other problems I have come across is with when the thread gets hung up somewhere on the side of the head. 

2 hours ago, JerseyFirefighter said:

Im curious as well. I use 277/207 with a #25 on my Ferdco. I sometimes have issues when the bobbin case gets a little too dirty. I pull the bobbin and blow it out with air and that usually fixes any hiccups. The only other problems I have come across is with when the thread gets hung up somewhere on the side of the head. 

True, I have had the thread take a funny twist and loop around the tension spring...

On 9/10/2018 at 4:35 PM, koreric75 said:

does it happen on different thread spools, if the needle hole is too big it may not be enough friction to hold and cause the loop to form?  Need more specs so if someone that knows sewing machines better can better assist you...needle: size, point type, new/old/tried different needle types, sizes  thread:size, composition (nylon, poly etc) age if it's been sitting awhile or not, tried different thread sizes, types etc.. material: leather, veg, garment, thickness, weight, if none of these seem to help fix the problem then may need to look at hook timing, tensions etc...it's helpful if you have someone take a video of you sewing slow with the side cover open to see how the thread is looping or not...of course it's like that weird noise you get in a car, take it to the mechanic and it doesn't do it at all then on the way home it comes back...lol, i'm sure the sewing machine gurus will have more to offer, in the mean time try to address the first things i mentioned...if you haven't change the needle...if that doesn't help try a smaller size, wouldn't say looking you'd need a bigger size, just try to make sure the needle size and thread match and match the material you're sewing...

my old adler was skipping like crazy when i got it, but i was using a #22 round needle and #69 & #207 thread because that's what i had...i was testing it on veg tan or heavier foot leather scraps, but with some softer garment leather same thickness the #22 round and the #207 it sewed a few 20" long french seams beautifully...when if finally got in my leather point needles a #23 & the same #207 thread sews beautifully and i haven't had a skip since, one full belt double 6oz glued back to back and some of the previous test strips...no problem

This machine has given me little problems here and there over the years but nothing like it has lately. I use 138 thread in the bobbin and 207 on the top, using a size #25 DYX3 LR needles of high quality. I've been using this combo for years with no issues until lately. I have 2 of these Ferdco machines, 1 usually works fine, its the new one I got thats a pain..Ive had a sewing machine mechanic out a few times and every time it works for about an hours and then goes back to being a POS lol. I dont change ANY settings at all. Goes back to gathering up underneath and skipping. I know its got to do with the timing. 

With the size of that needle and the eye of it having plenty room for a loop. 

I would turn the needles scarf a bit away from operator, though still having hook clearance. Were talking turned slightly and this may also work in the opposite direction for a better check.  

Good day

Floyd

Edited by brmax

Look at the clearance between the needle and hook, making sure you push the hook away from the needle.

The shuttle can wear the spacer ring behind it and allow too much clearance so try cutting a thin cardboard ring to sit behind the spacer. I have seen this fix dozens of times on old 45k25's

On 9/13/2018 at 10:13 AM, BaroqueLeatherGal said:

. I use 138 thread in the bobbin and 207 on the top, using a size #25 DYX3 LR needles of high quality. 

There’s your problem! Way too much needle for that thread! 

1 hour ago, turbotexas said:

There’s your problem! Way too much needle for that thread! 

I hope he figured that out 2 1/3 years ago when this topic was last active. ;-)

On 1/21/2021 at 10:48 PM, Wizcrafts said:

I hope he figured that out 2 1/3 years ago when this topic was last active. ;-)

Someone may be having the same problem... hahaha