CEA

Do all Singer 111W155 machines have a walking needle?

I'm  looking at a local Singer 111w155 and my web research says those machines came with triple feed but the guy says it has a walking foot but not a walking needle. Has anyone ever seen a 11w155 without a walking needle?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

The 111W's are compound (triple) feed. Needle feed, inner foot feed, feed dogs, all synchronous. If his does not have a needle feed it's not really a 111W, or it's broken.

There were 111 with just needle feed (meaning bottom feed and needle feed combined and not moving presser foot) and the 111w141 had just drop feed (no walking needle and no walking foot) but all 111w155 had triple feed and that includes the "walking needle". Maybe stitch length is adjusted to zero?

Maybe it's possible someone is confused where they installed a single presser foot for drop feed use?  

240030 Conversion Foot.JPG

Wow everyone, thanks for all the feedback. Exactly what I want to hear! So the seller doesn't know his sewing machines very well.

I'll take a look at it and see what kind of shape it's in. Any particular vulnerabilities on a 111w155 that I should watch out for? He has it listed as a 111w155-7. What is the significance of the -7?

I'm sure this has been answered a bunch but where would I find a good value on a servo motor for this machine?

Thanks
Chris

(GREAT forum by the way!)

Edited by CEA

If this is the same machine, it shows no "-7" subclass on the tag:

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/52874558

Difficult to say, but it does look a bit like it has the paddle-type foot mount from a needle feed like you would expect on a 111W151 etc.  It has a non-standard bobbin cover plate and a zillion tapped holes for custom fixtures, plus a repaint, so I would guess it has seen some customized/specialized service on a factory line and all bets are off as far as what is "original" with that sort of history.

-DC

SARK9,

Yeah that's the one. I hadn't notices the tapped holes but there are LOTS.

When you say:

all bets are off as far as what is "original" with that sort of history

wouldn't mean they might have taken out the walking needle would it? I'd hate to drive all the way down there and find a machine that isn't triple feed.

If you were buying this machine what would you look at to make sure it's in good shape and what questions (and the answers) would you ask the seller?

Thanks for your help.

I really don't know what type of foot is installed on that machine...I just don't recognize it as any of the typical 111W types that are simply everywhere. Though I've not tried it myself, I believe you can unclamp the presser foot bar and rotate it 90 degrees to use the "paddle" type feet, so that may not be too much to alter. Disconnecting the "walking" (outer) foot motion to use that type of foot would be possible if desired, but the inner foot, needle and feed dog would need to remain in synch like a needle feed machine. If the only thing that is left functional is the feed dog, why would you want it at all? The button for locking the mechanism to adjust the stitch length has also been removed, another strong hint that the machine has been used for a dedicated custom operation making a specific component in a factory setting. Its possible all the feed mechanisms have been altered for use with an external puller. Personally I wouldn't drive across town for it, or offer any more than a K-leg stand and a salvage casting was worth to me. These machines in good condition are frequently available for a third of the ask. Just sayin'.

Here is a prospect listed with the same service:    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53555838

-DC 

Edited by SARK9

I have a 11W155 and like SHark9 said the one you see in the CL add is highly modified  definitely not worth the asking price. For that money I bought myself nice well maintained 111W155 and had enough left over to get the servo conversion. I'd say pass on that one and look around for one that will do belts (2 layers of 3-4) Wallets are no problem and some light weight holsters are even possible with care. Good luck

leather2.jpg

tri3.jpg

Actually, it's quite an intriguing machine, given that it's obviously not quite a stock standard unit. The spool holders are mounted underneath the table (??) and there's a linkage of some sort hanging across the foot pedal. I'd also noticed the repaint, probably not too old given that it's not showing any wear, and as for all the extra holes........

I'd be interested, but not at that price, given its "peculiar" condition. Probably not a good idea for someone just starting out, you want a machine that is hopefully in at least "standard" condition which will make it easier when you inevitably ask for some assistance/advice.

It may have been repainted once or 10 times - safe to say it’s somewhere between in good shape and worn out.  Multiple tapped holes are most likely left over from its previous life in a factory setting where these machines are run all day year after year and many parts are most likely not original.  The modified presser feet setup may be nothing hard to fix or it may be a result of a broken part - you definitely want to make sure everything is intact at that price.  Basically I’d say the table and motor are worth no more than $50.  The machine may very well be worth the asking price, but it’s a matter of wear at all the metal to metal parts and the condition of hook and tension assembly in addition to any broken or missing parts.  Personally I’d think it’s worth no more than half the asking price since you don’t aren’t in a position to assess level of wear unless someone can convince you otherwise.

For that price plus the servo motor conversion you are getting sort of close to the price of a new one that has reverse.

1 hour ago, Willie0 said:

For that price plus the servo motor conversion you are getting sort of close to the price of a new one that has reverse.

In my last post, I had included a link to a much later model Consew 244....walking foot with reverse. The manual is still available from Consew.

Its still listed on the same KSL site. Google Maps shows it is less than 15 minutes from SLC and a few bucks cheaper than the 111W. Sheesh.

-DC

All singer 111w are walking foot and needle feed machines

Www.industrialsewingrepair.com

11 hours ago, kerby said:

All singer 111w are walking foot and needle feed machines

Www.industrialsewingrepair.com

The Singer 111w100, 111w102, 111w114 and 111w151 are all bottom and needle feed only; not walking foot. You can see photos of the various 111 machines on Mark Rofini's website. Also, several members have ended up with non-walking foot 111w machines and started topics about them. Here is just one topic about a 111w102 needle feed machine.

Ok then!

Singer made too many different machines. There. I said it.

Hey Constabulary, in that brochure it lists the 117 (which I have) and was wondering what that 1/2" on the right refers to? It also says it has an automatic tension adjuster, I wonder if that means the thread or the presser foot?

1/2" clearance under presser foot

I put a PDF scan of the brochure in a new thread..

6 hours ago, dikman said:

Hey Constabulary, in that brochure it lists the 117 (which I have) and was wondering what that 1/2" on the right refers to? It also says it has an automatic tension adjuster, I wonder if that means the thread or the presser foot?

Edited by Constabulary

I saw that, thanks constabulary. Mine doesn't have 1/2" under the feet, best I could adjust it to was 3/8". Guess I'd better look at it again.

maybe a misprint - don´t know.

Or look at the foot lift levers of your 111´s - not sure if there were different types for different foot lift heights (different part numbers?) if not and all 111 are using the same lever you should be able to tweak it a bit because I doubt they used a lot of different parts in the different subclasses - compare the parts lists. Will check my parts bin if I can find different levers - I know I have 1 or 2 spares...

EDIT:

yes - different levers - but I don´t know if the black one probably is a DURKOPP (they share parts with Singer). Do you see the difference?

IMG_2396.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

Yep, quite noticeable. I assumed, however, that they were referring to working distance under the feet, not "lifted" distance?