joelpete

Does anyone use WUTA tools?

I'm looking at a few Pricking Irons (2.7mm) and wondering if people are satisfied with the quality of WUTA tools.  Does anyone have constructive input?

I have the 3.85 and am really happy with them. They are great to deal with, you just have to be patient on shipping which they are upfront about. I have ordered several times from them. I have liked everything I have gotten from them.

Spend half a hour with a fine file between the teeth and they will do a very reasonable job like most others. There is only so much you can do with a pricking iron and mainly its the finish that costs the big bucks

3 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

I have the 3.85 and am really happy with them. They are great to deal with, you just have to be patient on shipping which they are upfront about. I have ordered several times from them. I have liked everything I have gotten from them.

I appreciate that feedback.  That long lead time though... :wacko:

3 hours ago, chrisash said:

Spend half a hour with a fine file between the teeth and they will do a very reasonable job like most others. There is only so much you can do with a pricking iron and mainly its the finish that costs the big bucks

That, I can do.  Thanks for the input.

I have bought a few things off them, bevelers and such. They do give a nice tool for a decent price.

I have seen they have a nice mallet with a system to add or remove weight so make it lighter or heavier but it is only available on taobao for now (chinese ebay). They have some nice stuff.

Edited by LetterT

7 hours ago, chrisash said:

Did our have to do this? Mine came pretty polished up. I even punch thru on the thinner stuff.

Also, I have bought the templates. The new narrow shoulder hole punches..? They turned out to be a steal for the whole set. Wing divider is nice. The little needle/toothpick holders at 2 for 5 bucks. What a deal.

Didn't mean to get carried away. The bottom line is I have been dealing with him/them for most of my leather Adventure. About 4 years now. They have always been good to me and I have watched their product line grow. 

Edited by bikermutt07

On 9/12/2018 at 8:18 AM, bikermutt07 said:

Did our have to do this? Mine came pretty polished up. I even punch thru on the thinner stuff.

I did the same as chrisash, but with 800-1200 grit sand paper to get the teeth razor sharp, specifically so that I can use them as chisels and punch all the way though. But I work with roo leather, so im rarely punching through more than 3mm.

Just to clarify, all the low cost irons seem to have very smooth top and bottom sides but the area which can be improved in most of these irons is the sides of the teeth which can be not up to the same standard as the top and bottom, they tend to have slightly rough surfaces so gently filing /polishing down these sides of the teeth can offer a improvement

@chrisash and @VabaX I see. So they weren't rough, y'all just hotrodded them up a bit?

Cool.

I own two sets of their pricking irons. The 3.0 and the 3.85, work great. I bought one of their round stitching awls as well. Oddly enough, the irons are great, the awl had issues. If you decide to get a set, shipping takes a little while.

Irons: easy in and easy out, well polished, all around, good value.

Gary Spruill

i use their pricking irons and greaser irons super! i am much very happy their quality and prices.

Around the same price and quick shipping, I haven't used Wuta but Kevin's irons are good. I also have Ksblade, Ksblade are ergonomically better, but also a lot more expensive. You won't be disappointed with Kevinlee.

https://kevinlee.global/collections/best-sellers/products/kl-french-pricking-iron-1?variant=16154124451940