I just finished this prototype of a padded handle.  The padding is 1/4" closed cell cross linked polyethylene that was recommended by the supplier.  I like it.  The leather is brown kidskin from Springfield.  The woods used are white oak and holly on the collar and end caps with a maple core on the handle and an alder shank.

Overall I'm pretty happy for a first attempt.  The padding made it easier to get a decent fit on the leather.  There are a few small errors.  The seams on the foam telegraphed through the leather a bit.  More care was needed fitting the foam (fixed on the current one I'm making).  I managed to put a small scratch in the leather at the top front of the handle.  I'm working on changing the order of work to eliminate that possibility in the future. 

5b9805708b3f0_PaddedHandlePrototype003.thumb.jpg.bad0d52e282d865667218e66bbd9c800.jpg

5b9805885cdb0_PaddedHandlePrototype005.thumb.jpg.84ab1ff12a982349b274b3cb5353226c.jpg5b980567d8094_PaddedHandlePrototype001.thumb.jpg.a641f87d8e1ac4a6dc4cccc73604e7c1.jpg

The handle ended up about 1/4" taller and wider than I intended.  It doesn't sound like a lot but the handle is huge.  I have large hands (short but wide) and this handle is big for me.

5b9805a994847_PaddedHandlePrototype006.thumb.jpg.173489d7ffba3436fa3138e71b64b686.jpg

5b9805b90e3e1_PaddedHandlePrototype010.thumb.jpg.4cb2315b27916900a2a8805b325da283.jpg

5b9805c19540c_PaddedHandlePrototype011.thumb.jpg.40734392a924ce95c99f6b8075153b28.jpg

My seams are still a bit wobbly but they are slowly improving.  Critiques and advice are always appreciated.

Very nicely done!  

That looks great. Your stitching has definitely improved. 

Looks very nice. I like how it is formed so well to the handle.

Thanks guys.  This first one turned out bigger than I intended.  I made the core of the handle a little too big.  Someone with large or extra large hands will like it.

I have a second one in the finishing stages right now.  The second one is normal sized. I'll post it when it's done.

That looks like a very comfortable walking stick! Nicely done - I like the way the leather is flush with the end trim without any ridge. Should be very comfortable.

I love the bark on the stick! I’ve been making walking sticks/shillelaghs for a few years. Just simple. But soft soft on the hand.

Hmmm. Not a good photo of my current stick.

25DE1ACC-C266-4E55-AB8D-2B71D85DA80C.jpeg

That looks super comfortable @rodneywt1180b and well made!

Well done.

Thanks.  My other one I'm working on I didn't get my stitch line centered very well.  So i fixed some mistakes and made some new ones instead. @ScoobyNewbie What wood is your stick?   Looks like a fun one.

I worked as grounds keeper for an apartment complex. It was like walking in a park. I picked up branches from all over it, pine, apple, maple, mulberry and oak. I’m pretty sure that this is maple or mulberry. 

Another tree was kind of strange, it had bark that sloughed off leaving 3 different color patterns, so the remaining inner bark was different colors and it’s berry like seed pods were hard and nasty to step on all winter.  But, in the spring, they just fell apart and spread everywhere. If anybody knows what I’m talking about, I would really like to know that tree’s name.

It is. I made it for my mother, she’s starting to fall a bit. I cut the bottom so that the branches kind of form a tripod for stablity. Then I smoothed it with some sand paper, but none of what I had really smoothed it as well as I liked. Then one day, I was working on my nails and I said , “Eh, why not?”

Ruined the sanding block from Sally’s Beauty Supply, but man! This is the softest stick I’ve ever made! No sealer, Mom doesn’t like them, she says they get sticky.

And she has been able to test it on it’s intended prey. Nice and firm, and that dog hasn’t bothered her again on her walks!

I was hoping to find a point that I could use at the base, something that would just screw into the wood if I made a hole, that I could put a rubber bit on come spring so she was ice and mud ready. I couldn’t find one, maybe I just didn’t look hard enough or in the right places. Where would you go?

Lee Valley makes a very nice cane tip that has an ice point.  Spendy, but nice.  They're a little more work than just screwing them on but it's not hard.  If you're careful you can do it with just a utilty knife. 

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,250,43243&p=63218

There are also accessory ice tips available.  This is just the first one that came up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cane-Ice-Tip-Attachment-Cane-Ice-Grip-5-Prong-Ice-Grip-Attachment/323444996001?hash=item4b4ed2f7a1:g:4I4AAOSwmWFanYub

Oooo! Thanks!