ABHandmade

WIP. Wallet with Floral design (but not Sheridan)

Finally, I got the figure bevelers and decided to try them out.
It will be a women's wallet. Leather 3-4 oz.
Pattern did in CorelDraw. I photographed several dozen roses on my wife's flower bed, hop were photographed in the garden.
The pattern is composed on the basis of fragments of 6 photo. Composition took some time. But seemingly it looks like natural (it seems so to me :)).

I would be very grateful for comments, criticism and advice.

ww_roses_1.jpg

Edited by ABHandmade

That looks amazing. Please share pictures when it gets some color. And of course the finished product. Great job.

1 minute ago, bikermutt07 said:

That looks amazing. Please share pictures when it gets some color. And of course the finished product. Great job.

Thank you, @bikermutt07!

I hope that I will not spoil this when dyeing - it will be very insulting. But in any case, I will add photos here as the work progresses. 

Looks great!  When you did the border, did you use a steep beveler and then apply the background?  I really like the transition from bevel to background!

Gary

2 minutes ago, garypl said:

Looks great!  When you did the border, did you use a steep beveler and then apply the background?  I really like the transition from bevel to background!

Gary

Gary, that's exactly what was done.
I just enjoy using the newly acquired set of 3 steep bevelers. The difference in result in comparison with the usual is simply striking. Especially when it's necessary to pass sharp angles. Need a little for Happiness :)

Love the roses.

That is awesome. Those roses look real and so much depth. What is the thickness of the leather used if I may ask? Can't wait to see the color go on it. 

1 minute ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

That is awesome. Those roses look real and so much depth. What is the thickness of the leather used if I may ask? Can't wait to see the color go on it. 

Thank you! Leather 3-4 oz.

remarkable roses. thank you for sharing what you did with Corel draw.

2 hours ago, bdpeters said:

remarkable roses. thank you for sharing what you did with Corel draw.

Thank you. I like CorelDraw :)

I think the roses are amazing, please do not forget to share progress photos.

Continuation.
It is dyed with alcohol based dye. I'm use Toledo Super. 

ww_roses_2.jpg

Treated with mink oil.
A small painting with same dye type was applied.

ww_roses_3.jpg

In a few days, the embossing will become a little lighter - the oil will be completely absorbed.

To be continued...

Man, that is really well done and yes, lifelike. I love this!

Thank you for the continued photos. Man that is beautiful.  

35 minutes ago, battlemunky said:

Man, that is really well done and yes, lifelike. I love this!

@battlemunky, thank you for such a high appraisal of my work. 

3 minutes ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

Thank you for the continued photos. Man that is beautiful.  

Thank you, @bullmoosepaddles. Glad you liked it.

I read all your descriptions. Would it be too much trouble to ask for a photo of the embossing from the backside? Do you back fill the embossed sections once your finished with the tooling? 

I love embossing. I had started taking a few classes from the manager of my local Tandy store several years ago. He got transferred before I could get very far into the class. The depth amazes me. I always smile when I see your post. Thank you     

Edited by bullmoosepaddles
added content

41 minutes ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

I read all your descriptions. Would it be too much trouble to ask for a photo of the embossing from the backside? Do you back fill the embossed sections once your finished with the tooling? 

I love embossing. I had started taking a few classes from the manager of my local Tandy store several years ago. He got transferred before I could get very far into the class. The depth amazes me. I always smile when I see your post. Thank you     

I have not had time to paste the lining, so please:

DSC_0631 (2).JPG

In this work, I did not use leather inserts to create a deeper relief. This was impractical for this image. In addition, too high a bas-relief for a wallet - rather a minus, because. increases the thickness of the product. Embossing with inserts I use in some products such as bags, where increasing the thickness does not impair the consumer properties of the thing but look well.

I hope not to disappoint you with my subsequent works :)

PS. The embossing process with leather inserts I tried to illustrate here  http://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/81763-wip-another-mountain-lion-carving-and-embossing/

There, however, there is no photo of the reverse side, but on it - the rear flat part of the leather insert.

Edited by ABHandmade

@ABHandmade Thank you for the time to answer my questions. The cougar I had seen when you posted it. But a second look helped  me understand better. 

What I was asking about. The Tandy manager who I started to learn from, used leather powder, made from sanding leather into dust and glue to make a filler for the slight indention's on the backside. His train of thought was that the filling would hold the embossed section from flattening after wear. His wallet still showed good depth even after having been carried for several years at that time. The offset I saw to that was it also showed a great deal of polish/wear from standing proud of the surrounding leather. His carving was a Koi fish going from top to bottom of a biker style wallet. The depth was what made me wish to learn to do the embossed method. 

I must admit I let my interest slip away after he left and the new manager of the store may have been a great manager, but a poor leather worker.      

21 minutes ago, bullmoosepaddles said:

@ABHandmade Thank you for the time to answer my questions. The cougar I had seen when you posted it. But a second look helped  me understand better. 

What I was asking about. The Tandy manager who I started to learn from, used leather powder, made from sanding leather into dust and glue to make a filler for the slight indention's on the backside. His train of thought was that the filling would hold the embossed section from flattening after wear. His wallet still showed good depth even after having been carried for several years at that time. The offset I saw to that was it also showed a great deal of polish/wear from standing proud of the surrounding leather. His carving was a Koi fish going from top to bottom of a biker style wallet. The depth was what made me wish to learn to do the embossed method. 

I must admit I let my interest slip away after he left and the new manager of the store may have been a great manager, but a poor leather worker.      

I sometimes use something like this when I want to get a more voluminous embossment than leather thickness allows, but the use of the inserts is not advisable. I even have a few boxes, where I put thin leather scraps for the preparation of the filler :)
But the quality of the resulting bas-relief method with an insert that described Al Stohlman in the book "The Art of Embossing Leather" is far ahead. Although this method is more labor-intensive.

Edited by ABHandmade

@ABHandmade It appears I need to find  and study that book. Thank you 

Work done.

ww_roses_4.JPG

ww_roses_5.JPG

ww_roses_6.JPG

ww_roses_7.JPG

ww_roses_9.JPG

That's some lovely work! I like the curves in the border design, and that asymmetric closing strap looks great! 

Beautiful workmanship!

Gary

Lust, lust, lust, droooooolllll!

What a wonderful wallet! I come from very artistic people and the gene missed me pretty hard. My hand stayed in 6-8th grade sadly. 

Amazing!

11 hours ago, DJole said:

That's some lovely work! I like the curves in the border design, and that asymmetric closing strap looks great! 

The idea with a curves in the border design and asymmetric closing strap is not mine and is derived from the template I acquired. But I really liked them myself too.

6 hours ago, garypl said:

Beautiful workmanship!

Gary

Thank you, Gary! Such a comment from you really means a lot to me.

2 hours ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

Lust, lust, lust, droooooolllll!

What a wonderful wallet! I come from very artistic people and the gene missed me pretty hard. My hand stayed in 6-8th grade sadly. 

Amazing!

@ScoobyNewbie, thanks for compliment!