I recently acquired a vintage roughout roping saddle in its original condition. It has 3" wide fender adjustment, with the old bolt and blanket pin system. From the marks left, it doesn't appear the stirrups were ever adjusted with the old lacing system, and definitely never Blevins,  though lace adjustment may have been replaced with the bolts and pin system shortly after purchase. Naturally, the pins are missing, so the former owner used baling wire in their place.

I'm wondering if anyone knows approximately when the pin system was in its zenith to help date the saddle. (I rode in an old JC Higgins in the early 60s that used the bolt and pin adjusters, FWIW.) There are no maker marks that I've yet discovered, though I have not yet pulled back the seat to find any marks that may be on the rawhide tree.

I'd like to find replacement pins if anyone knows of any (I remember they used to be sold on cards at tack stores eons ago!), and I'm also trying to find replacement leather rosettes with the old sawtooth edge.

Pics attached. Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks!

pin-stirrup-adjustment-3201.jpg

punchy-3247_1200x1200.jpg

punchy-cantle_540x720.jpg

Judging from the style of the saddle, I'd say '50's model.  I might have some old pins that I replace with Blevins, if used would suffice.  As far as I know, it would be sheer luck to find any of these new, although I'm sure someone has a NOS set lying around in a box somewhere.  As for the rosettes, Ralph Shimon saddles used to have them, but I do not see that kind on the saddles of the people who bought his company.  I do have half round punches with points instead of scallops, and rosettes can possibly made using those.  I am laid up for a couple days from a shop accident involving sharp objects and too much clutter on the floor.  When I'm healed enough to be able to grip a punch, I'll see what I can do.

13 minutes ago, Big Sioux Saddlery said:

Judging from the style of the saddle, I'd say '50's model.  I might have some old pins that I replace with Blevins, if used would suffice.  As far as I know, it would be sheer luck to find any of these new, although I'm sure someone has a NOS set lying around in a box somewhere.  As for the rosettes, Ralph Shimon saddles used to have them, but I do not see that kind on the saddles of the people who bought his company.  I do have half round punches with points instead of scallops, and rosettes can possibly made using those.  I am laid up for a couple days from a shop accident involving sharp objects and too much clutter on the floor.  When I'm healed enough to be able to grip a punch, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks a bunch! and sorry to hear about your clutter-induced accident. I know those well...

I figured it for about 50's era, maybe super early 60s. Has brass hardware and 3.5" galvanized bells still in good shape, minus one missing tread. It needs a few other updates, but nothing major except for new fleece and strings. I've cleaned it and still conditioning it, but other than the norm it really doesn't have insurmountable  issues for a saddle its age. All in all, it's still a tight little rig and I'm really happy with it. I'd just like to keep it original, for the most part, hence my search for stirrup pins and sawtooth rosettes.