Utilatu00

Dry leather glue issue

Hi.Barge All purpose Cement, a bit dry out(jelly like instead of liquid).Any tip to dilute it without affecting the chemical character of it?.Thanks in advance

38 minutes ago, Utilatu00 said:

Hi.Barge All purpose Cement, a bit dry out(jelly like instead of liquid).Any tip to dilute it without affecting the chemical character of it?.Thanks in advance

I usually mix with a new can, I use weld wood, and it's a little too runny for some things so I have a can of new that I use for easier spreading and a can of less runny for more consistency

Barge also sells a thinner especially for the glue.  I also just add "new" glue.  Either way works.

I have taken to using Masters. because of the hazardous material considerations here in the Peoples' Democratic Republic of California.  ... can't buy Barge's in quantity without hazardous material fees.

Thanks

koreric75/

SaddleBags

for the info.Was thinking of mix 2% denature  alcohol(by someone in the know.) but not sure it will change the glue formula.

2 minutes ago, Utilatu00 said:

Thanks

koreric75/

SaddleBags

for the info.Was thinking of mix 2% denature  alcohol(by someone in the know.) but not sure it will change the glue formula.

You should be able to mix in  whatever the base is, all that has happened is that enough has evaporated over time and left your glue thicker...always try to keep the lid on tight when not using and in between uses, same with dye, if left open the base evaporates faster and can ruin a dye job, for alcohol based dye I will dilute with denatured alcohol, water based dye w/ water, resolene w/ water acrylic w/ water etc... I have a few cans that i use, for long straps and big projects i grab the newer or thinner of the glues as it's not been exposed as long and gives me more time to work, or i'll pour a good amount into my glue pot but if i don't get it right it's a pita to put back in the can and even sealed the pot seems to keep shorter time than the can.

On one of Weaver leather's videos with Chuck Dorset, he says he stores his glue on its cap. Cap never gets stuck on and I imagine it'll keep any evaporation through any tiny gaps in the threads from happening.

9 hours ago, battlemunky said:

On one of Weaver leather's videos with Chuck Dorset, he says he stores his glue on its cap. Cap never gets stuck on and I imagine it'll keep any evaporation through any tiny gaps in the threads from happening.

hmmm...that's a good idea.  I use the weld wood contact cement that comes in cans with the paint can type lid, but i have some older bottles that have the threaded cap with the brush attached I could transfer some into and keep the paint can lid on good and tight and just use out of the threaded bottle.  Thanks for the idea c/o chuck dorsett, but i hadn't seen it before.

No sweat @koreric75. I haven't tried it long enough to know how effective it is yet, its only been a few weeks, but it sounded reasonable.

14 hours ago, battlemunky said:

he says he stores his glue on its cap. Cap never gets stuck on

If you put a little vaseline on the threads on the cap it won't get stuck

Won't vaseline degrade some metals?

20 hours ago, koreric75 said:

hmmm...that's a good idea.  I use the weld wood contact cement that comes in cans with the paint can type lid, but i have some older bottles that have the threaded cap with the brush attached I could transfer some into and keep the paint can lid on good and tight and just use out of the threaded bottle.  Thanks for the idea c/o chuck dorsett, but i hadn't seen it before.

This is an old trick for storing opened tins of paint, no need to transfer it to threaded cap bottles unless you specifically want it in those bottles, just turn your tin upside down..... after making sure you got the lid on proper :-)

I use wood filler in my work shop. It comes in a 16oz paint type can. It is stored upside down to prevent evaporation, to the extent the label is installed upside down on the can. That way it reminds you to turn it back onto the cap when finished using. It does seem to work better than the old way.  

Also the SDS sheet for Barge Cement Thinner can be found here. 

https://images.mooremedical.com/skuDocuments/187pp_sds.pdf

It is composed of Toluene 50-75%, Hepthane 22-40%, Ethyl acetate 5-15%.  

Edited by bullmoosepaddles
spelling

19 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Won't vaseline degrade some metals?

Never thought about it. It might but I was shown this 20+ years ago and I've never had an issue. That being said I go through a 32 ounce can of barge every two months so its not like they are sitting around for a long time.

Gotcha. My can is about half gone so I will give it a shot and race the greasy glory which is Vaseline!