Riem

Sheath for a... uh.. uhm... Bread knife

In our kitchen there is a serated knife for slicing sourdough loaves - another of my hobbies is sourdough baking. The knife is around 30 years old, and still as sharp as when it was bought. I've always wanted to make a sheath for it, but never got round to it. Until this week. Here's the sheath. 20180915_180125-01.thumb.jpeg.3751a07014debc49ac4491b5e9f2441e.jpeg

("Broodmes" is Afrikaans for bread knife)

Here's the back of the sheath with the knife unsheaved (and placed strategically to hide some wonky stitching...)

20180915_180206-01.thumb.jpeg.23054cf38da99619c1070ad5176b0326.jpeg

The leather is 3.5 mm vegtan, from a bunch of scrap I bought from a local shop. The sheath is about 11.5 mm thick, as it has a welt of the same scrap leather.

20180915_182416-01.thumb.jpeg.c8566cb529a1513e1de45dd7e44f77ee.jpeg

Stitching was done by hand, 1mm brown braided thread I discovered at a shoe repair supply store. It was an absolute challenge to keep the stitch line at the back relatively straight.. Stamping on the front also not as straight  as it should be, and the "s" has a horrible bounce shadow...

Learnt a lot making it... :rolleyes:

It looks good and should serve it's purpose well.  I think most of the mistakes you mention bother you more than anyone else.  We are our own worst critics.

What Rodney said...

Looks good to me! And I'd love to try your sourdough.

Jeff

That is a fine sheath and we all feel your pain on the bouncing stamp syndrome...

for some reason this reminded me of erasing somewhere once that a fella coating the inside of a sheath with jewellers rouge so the knife was stropped in and out of it... anyhow now I want some sourdough as well.

That’s a cool sheath. And the jeweler’s rouge is kinda cool as well. Would it get on the bread?

I really like the contrast between the dark color of the sheath and the lighter color of the handle strap. Nice job!

31 minutes ago, ScoobyNewbie said:

That’s a cool sheath. And the jeweler’s rouge is kinda cool as well. Would it get on the bread?

Just give the knife a wipe down before cutting the bread I assume would work if someone tried it.

I think the discussion I saw originally it was knife that was not intended to used on food so no real concern there.

Still want some bread.....

:thankyou:Thanks all, appreciate the positive responses. Love the idea of the rouge in the sheath! Not sure if it will work well with a serated blade, but definitely something to keep in mind for a straight blade.

Would have loved to bring around a couple of loaves...B)B) Some photos of loaves past - I'll do some baking again this week for colleagues at work.

IMG_201508213_115700.thumb.jpg.c2128f16de81532ff75873cc14d6c873.jpg

Your sheath looks great I love it. But I somewhat hate you because I now want sourdough.

Nice and clean 

the bread looks very tempting to me

At least you can't eat leather very easily. I love fresh bread. Makes me miss my mom!

I thinks its about time someone invented ' smell-net / taste-net ' , ' inter-smell'  or an app where we can smell & taste  produce  :rofl: 

That bread would have gone well with my lasagna and red wine  tonight .  

as for the stamp bounce, we can't perfect all the time eh? It looks quite good otherwise. 

Ya man   :yes::yes:

HS 

Yes but I eat a lot of Bean Burrito's---SO :)

Toasted Sourdough with lots of butter and pan fried Eggs over easy is my Sunday meal, right before Church--Yum yum:)

Your sheath is a nice project and looks good! I am constantly looking around at my scrap and all kinds of weird stuff to use for a new project!

Sam:)

hmm, I never really considered making sheaths for kitchen knives but now that i think about it I have a lot of loose kitchen knives laying in drawers waiting to cut me. great job on the sheath.

Great looking knife sheath! Great looking Sourdough bread!  

Great effort, and the bread looks delicious. Sourdough is my absolute favorite.

On 16/09/2018 at 5:05 PM, Cooperk said:

Your sheath looks great I love it. But I somewhat hate you because I now want sourdough.

Ah, thanks Cooperk! I feel the love... :rolleyes:

On 17/09/2018 at 8:34 AM, Beardzbrothers said:

Nice and clean 

Thank you Beardzbrothers.

On 17/09/2018 at 10:26 AM, sombrero said:

the bread looks very tempting to me

I wish I could send you some, but I'm afraid those loaves have fallen victim to the knife long ago.

On 18/09/2018 at 3:30 AM, battlemunky said:

At least you can't eat leather very easily. I love fresh bread. Makes me miss my mom!

Thanks Munky. I learnt kneading and working with dough from mom. Miss her.

19 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I thinks its about time someone invented ' smell-net / taste-net ' , ' inter-smell'  or an app where we can smell & taste  produce  :rofl: 

That bread would have gone well with my lasagna and red wine  tonight .  

as for the stamp bounce, we can't perfect all the time eh? It looks quite good otherwise. 

Ya man   :yes::yes:

HS 

Thanks Handstitched, for the positive comments. And lasagne on sourdough... Man, I'll be baking again soon!

I've heard somewhere that there are some people who believe that everything one makes has to have a flaw in it, because only God is perfect, and if our creations are perfect in every sense, we're challenging God... Not that there's perfection in that sheath... I know!

5 hours ago, Riem said:

!

I've heard somewhere that there are some people who believe that everything one makes has to have a flaw in it, because only God is perfect, and if our creations are perfect in every sense, we're challenging God... Not that there's perfection in that sheath... I know

The Persain Flaw. I leanred of it as a practice of the Persain master rug weavers. Made me feel more like a master by nature of the fact i was already making work with flaws and now had a cool rationalization! But seriously i believe thw the spirit of humility and reverence behind the Flaw.

22 hours ago, ComputerDoctor said:

Yes but I eat a lot of Bean Burrito's---SO :)

Toasted Sourdough with lots of butter and pan fried Eggs over easy is my Sunday meal, right before Church--Yum yum:)

Your sheath is a nice project and looks good! I am constantly looking around at my scrap and all kinds of weird stuff to use for a new project!

Sam:)

And scraps mine were before I saw their "potential" as a sheath... The scraps were not exactly sheath sized, so if you deconstruct it, there will be some 'tactical decisions that will make an experienced sheath maker scratch his head and say "hmmmm"... ;)

18 hours ago, bdpeters said:

hmm, I never really considered making sheaths for kitchen knives but now that i think about it I have a lot of loose kitchen knives laying in drawers waiting to cut me. great job on the sheath.

Thank you for the compliments. Yeah, not all plasters on my fingers always come from awls... :-)

17 hours ago, RegisD said:

Great looking knife sheath! Great looking Sourdough bread!  

Thanks RegisD!

11 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Great effort, and the bread looks delicious. Sourdough is my absolute favorite.

Thanks bikermutt07! I too love the sourdough although with the kids no longer in the nest, I bake less than before. Pity.

1 hour ago, plinkercases said:

The Persain Flaw. I leanred of it as a practice of the Persain master rug weavers. Made me feel more like a master by nature of the fact i was already making work with flaws and now had a cool rationalization! But seriously i believe thw the spirit of humility and reverence behind the Flaw.

Thanks for the info about it - and you're right, it's a cool rationalisation! I also find a certain validation in the Arab proverb: "Haste is from Satan, slowness is from God". Kinda makes sense when it comes to the tempo at which I can turn out projects... ;-)

3 minutes ago, tearghost said:

That is a fine sheath

Thank you!

On 9/19/2018 at 7:55 AM, Riem said:

Thanks for the info about it - and you're right, it's a cool rationalisation! I also find a certain validation in the Arab proverb: "Haste is from Satan, slowness is from God". Kinda makes sense when it comes to the tempo at which I can turn out projects... ;-)

It absolutely amazes me that those little ol' scrap projects, just started on a whim end up taking a LONG life of their own and can be so difficult:) I have so much scrap that I could spend months just working on weird, impractical stuff---that would still be artistically beautiful, at least to me:) Sam